TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
MidwestDave

Cool GPS questions

I was told by someone the reason Moses got lost in the desert for 40 years was he was a man and men don't ask for directions! With that aside have any of you used or are using GPS guidance such as Garmin Street Pilot or the like?
If so how do you like your unit? Is it easy to use? What types do TM owners use (survey) I can see some advantages to using one, however at a cost!
Any help is appreciated

Midwest Dave
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

Default Everything you wanted to know and more

Check out this thread where you will find a lengthy discussion on GPS....

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...1&page=1&pp=10

RockyMountainRay is the resident expert but as you will read both my wife and I are using PDA based systems.

Bill
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default PDA type GPS-----

....has worked fine for me. I "had" a Garmin iQue 3600, until someone lifted it from our hotel room in Ottawa, ONT.

The iQue was great. Period. It is built on a Palm PDA base, so it had plenty of uses other than as a GPS.

In a money saving move ($320), I purchased a "refurbished"(on ebay) NavMan iCN 510 portable unit with a lanscape screen orientation. Touch screen ANd external buttons to control most features. The latest U.S and Canada upgrade maps just came out in Nov. of '05. Perfect timing.

Presentation is 2D overhead or Pseudo 3D (perspective). The 3D has the map rotating around the vehicle as heading changes and the 2D view is always oriented North whilst the vehicle moves across the map.

Wasn't sure if I would like it much. Took a trip to Savannah, GA (2800 mi RT). The maps which came with the unit were a couple of yrs old. We were blind-sided by various and sundry errors in unfamiliar territory. Now that I have the new maps I have encountered only one map error. It works quite nicely for my purposes. The external SD card can be as large as 1GB. That will load about 70% of the US and Can maps. Another 500MB card will hold the remainder.

Several color combinations can be selected. Screen display does NOT wash out in bright sunlight nearly as much as my iQue 3600 did! That is a big plus. And the suction cup mount (to the winshield) is very handy.

Here's a link to a review page:

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=578

The end of the link lists Pros and Cons (as bullet points), followed by a summary. I disagree with their con ->bright sun, washout<- statement. I did not experience that except when the sun was at a low angle and fell directly on the screen. Turning the mount slightly corrected the problem.

Denny (don't come 'round much anymore)_A
Old 01-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
MidwestDave

Cool Gps

Thanks Bill and Denny. That's what sold me on being a site sponsor. This form is a gold mine of ideas!

Midwest Dave