TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Bigbit

Default Battery shut-off switch on Elkmont

We use our trailer on average once every three weeks to a month. We have found that this is sometimes enough to kill the battery between uses, depending on circumstances. The trailer is kept in a storage lot, so there is no access to 120V to keep the battery charged.

Our previous trailer had the battery on the tongue in a marine-battery-style plastic two-piece case. Rather than having to disconnect the battery manually each time, I installed a battery switch like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...tch-92688.html integrated into the case cover, which made disconnecting and reconnecting the battery a breeze.

I want to do the same thing with the Elkmont, but the battery is located underneath the couch, in the middle of the trailer. The plastic case has a vent pipe (I'm assuming to vent hydrogen or other gases out of the trailer in the evnt of a battery malfunction).

Has anyone modified their Elkmont to add an easily-accessible battery switch? I'm getting a bit tired of tearing the couch cushions off every time I shut down or go to use the trailer...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
brulaz

What would happen if you pulled one or both of the 40A reverse polarity fuses in the WFCO converter?

I haven't tried this but that should break all the 12V stuff supplied by the WFCO. The only thing not covered would be the powered hitch thingy, which takes off directly from the battery, just after the battery fuse.

Also, most people recommend replacing the original battery fuse with something more reliable. Maybe replacing it with a switch-type circuit breaker mounted in the plywood panel under the seat would give you easy access?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
What would happen if you pulled one or both of the 40A reverse polarity fuses in the WFCO converter?

I haven't tried this but that should break all the 12V stuff supplied by the WFCO. The only thing not covered would be the powered hitch thingy, which takes off directly from the battery, just after the battery fuse.

Also, most people recommend replacing the original battery fuse with something more reliable. Maybe replacing it with a switch-type circuit breaker mounted in the plywood panel under the seat would give you easy access?
It's best to locate the fuse right at the battery (inside the battery box if possible). The purpose of the fuse is to prevent the raw power feed wire from shorting out anywhere past the battery. If you locate a breaker or fuse inside the trailer, the unprotected wire has to run some distance with no protection. If the wire were to chafe through somewhere, you could have a fire.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

So put a fuse in the battery box, and a switch in a convenient location.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
So put a fuse in the battery box, and a switch in a convenient location.

Bill
^^ Ideal solution^^
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
brulaz

The battery in the Elkmont is located inside under the bench seat. It's maybe 2 feet, unobstructed, from the pos terminal of the battery to the vertical plywood panel under that same bench seat where a switch or breaker could be located.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Bigbit

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to visit the trailer at the storage yard this weekend and see what I can rig up...
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Bigbit

Finally got around to this mod today. I bought a battery shut off switch here: http://performanceplusconnection.us/...B0017101BE.htm. - a little pricey, but made to do what I envisioned.

The battery is stored under the leg of the "L" of the couch. I drilled a 3/4" hole where I wanted the switch - just to the left of the 110V outlet and above the heater duct outlet, where the couch juts out. The switch mounted cleanly, looks professional, and works well. I like the fact that it's inside the trailer, but in an easy to access and out of the way place.

Works great!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
brulaz

Ah, very nice switch and a good place for it. I've bookmarked your link. Hopefully I'll get around to this one of these days.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
cochise

If you follow the white wire from the battery case you can see where and how I did mine, I did consider "Bigbit's" solution, but decided it was too easy to inadvertently hit the switch and perhaps even break it off. Besides I only use the switch when the trailer is stored, so lifting the seat is not a big deal.

And I will probably catch some "flak" from certain people here for using the ground wire BUT it really does not matter which one you use. The battery connection is "broken". And in Automotive cases you always disconnect the negative ground wire before anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1699.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	5140  
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote