TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
rms62003

Default Back from my first 'real' trip

I've been thinking about a Trailmanor since I bought my popup last year, and my multistage trip in June really sealed the deal. I like to take my three rambunctious dogs with me, but couldn't do anything by myself with the canvas popup. On that trip, I looked at some Trailmanors in Milwaukee, since it's the closest dealer with a good stock of them (and that's 400 miles from home.) I wasn't planning on buying one then, but did so - and am I glad. I spent one night in the TM by myself (the dogs were boarded so I could visit friends) before heading home. That first day it took me about an hour to set up, because I couldn't figure out the front electric slide! (when the button has Hold on the top, and To Operate on the bottom, it really means "Hold to operate)

Here, three weeks later, I was able to escape for a weekend. Unfortunately, most of my camping is 2-3 days due to work. I have to say, the setup for the TM is much easier than my canvas popup. After placing my BAL and unhooking, I leveled front to back - didn't need to do side to side. I then unfolded the Trailmanor, and lowered the stabilizers. This was actually the hardest part of setting up. I could set up my canvas popup by myself in 30-45 minutes, but this really takes me about half the time -from unhitching to going inside. I'm also finding that I could put more in the Trailmanor before leaving home, so I don't have to lug it from the car. Next time I'm thinking of putting the cooler and duffle bag inside, and this will help shorten the setup even more.

The other nice thing is that the dogs can stay in the camper for short periods of time. I like to do number 2 at the campground toilets instead of inside my unit, and if I leave the dogs outside, they just bark the entire time. With the Trailmanor, I left inside and the did great, to them it was as if I left them at home. I actually left them when I went up to register my camper, for about 15 minutes, and nothing was destroyed!

I'm actually very pleased with the bathroom, other comments aside. I don't smell the chemical for the toilet outside the bathroom - which is a good thing. Being in the medical profession, I have memories associated with formaldehyde. And, smelling that in my camper is not the best. I'm going to have to find a toilet treatment without this. I had some troubles with the recirculating toilet to begin with - it had to be at the more filled end of 'charged' to work, but it worked well when I figured it out. I'm still not sure about the recirculating idea, however.
The shower is about the same size as my popup's, so I'm used to it. It drains better, and not having to attach a grey water tank is nice. I'm keeping this, however, in case I need a midweek emptying. I actually like the little sink in the bathroom, since i can use it to wash up, brush teeth, etc. The bathroom in a camper will never be like home, but can be functional.

The canvas popup was my fist adventure into trailer camping, and I'm so glad I quickly moved to the Trailmanor. It has the increased storage, room and protection that I need with my four-legged crew. I can't wait until my week long August trip! This is a business/pleasure trip since I have a conference that I need to attend. I did this last year with my canvas popup, and see it being even better this year.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Glad to hear you're enjoying your TM!

We use the Thetford Campa-Chem Natural toilet chemical, it does a pretty good job, and you can also add some Potty Toddy tablets.

We used to take our cat camping with us, but she passed away a few years back at age 20.

Have fun with your TM!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
ChillEDog

Thanks for that. I enjoyed reading your post.

We by-passed a popup (never could get used to idea of canvas walls) straight to a new-to-us 2619. Seemed big when I bought it, but the space goes fast.

So what model did you get ? Sorry if I missed it but (I think) you didn't say in your writeup. I know it must be bigger than a 2619, since it has a slideout. If I recall, those start with the 2720s ?
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
moaboy

Our dog loves our 2720 because she likes the front bed where she can look out on 3 sides...life is good....
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
rms62003

Red face

I have the 2720SL. I really wanted a front slide out, since I camp solo,, at least in the human sense. And, I needed floor space for two 70+ lb labs and a finicky deaf/blind 30 lb terrier. My 1 yr old lab/coonhound mix was so funny on the last trip. He made laps between the front couch (forever in the 'bed' position) and the back bed while trying to watch people outside. It was his second camping trip, and he has a lot of growing up to do.

I'm very happy with the 2720. I find it easy to tow and back in solo. Also, the couch in the 'bed' position gives enough room for the canines to sit with me - or for me to have my dinner next to me if solo (CAN'T do that with the hounds!) I did get a backrest to make it comfortable to sit against one of the sides.

I am still in limbo about the chair. With the canines, I found it helpful for dinner time. But, it is so bulky for the amount of use it gives! Anyone find another sitting solution that also gives storage, other usefulness? I saw a gaming chair/ottoman/storage at Walmart recently, that was about 25 lbs. This might be a solution, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

we also travel with the 4 legged faimly, dw had the same thought about the chair, she was thinking a two seater,padded bench with storage under it, would be up againt the wall and give more floor space and could get old chair out of way.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Not sure what year you have, but the chair in our 2006 has Velcro on the bottom where a foot rest would be on a recliner. We found we can store quite a bit down there. We store a microwave, toaster, soft cooler and extra blankets there.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote