TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
roned2

Default proud new owner with questions

We picked up our new 3124KS today with great trepidation. Mentor Rv in Ohio were great. We had a walk through and a demonstration of the weight distribution hitch. Towing from the dealership to campground was no problem. Being a complete beginner towing trailers my worst nightmare was finding a dead end and having to back up and turn the trailer. Guess what! Our GPS led us to a dead end and we had to back up. I have no experience doing this and hoped the first time would be in a parking lot. We were lucky. A homeowner in Ohio helped us do the turn. Our first problem happpened at the campground when we tried to disconnect the TV from the TM. We didn't realize we had to pull back on the tongue lock. We got to the campground and thought we were plugged into the electricity. We discovered our electrical outlets were not working and in the end we needed an adapter to get onto the electrical at the campground. We have one question. THere seems to be a fan running by the king bed. THe sound comes from the fusebox area. It is not the frig, hot water heater pump, microwave or the bathroom fan. What is it? It's not a big deal but I would like to know. By the way the heater fan is noisy on propane and we will be glad to use our electrical heater when we return home.
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
ng2951

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roned2 View Post
...The sound comes from the fusebox area. It is not the frig, hot water heater pump, microwave or the bathroom fan. What is it? It's not a big deal but I would like to know. By the way the heater fan is noisy on propane and we will be glad to use our electrical heater when we return home.
Fear not, that is only the noise from the DC converter. It charges the battery, etc. It comes on when the AC is plugged in. It does not run fulltime from what I have noticed.

Yes there are plenty of people who use small electric heaters. Just remember what the amperage rating is on the circuit you are using.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
PopBeavers

You probably need to limit the size of an electric heater to 1500 watts.

I sometimes run a heavy extension cord in from the power pedestal through the gap in the sides to run either a second heater (rare) or a small electric cooler.

The furnace fan is noisy. At bed time I set it at the lowest possible setting. First one up in the morning cranks it up.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
ng2951

Its quieter than the a/c...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
roned2

Wink Proud new owner update

We got our new 3124KS home yesterday. Had a few minor problems along the way. We camped at a local campground close to the dealer which was open all year with limited facilities. Same price -just limited facilities. I have no trailer towing experience so my worst nightmare was to get stuck on a deadend road. OF course this happened on the way to the campground from the dealer when our GPS in its wisdom lead us astray. With the help of a kindly homeowner in Ohio we managed to get turned around in the narrow space (to me) At the campground our first issue was getting the trailer off the hitch. Who knew you had to pull up and slide the hitch mechanism? Must have missed that in our introduction to the joys of towing. Next minor problem? We plugged in at the outlet and felt pretty good about things until we discovered we were not really plugged in. The outlets did not function. The electrical connection has three prongs but the campground outlets all had four openings. Managed to get plugged in properly and discovered you have to push on the breakers. No issues with setting up except things moved around a lot more than we thought. A dent in the new stove due to a sliding cupboard and a couple of loose screws on the drawer sliders. Rehitching was a small struggle as we tried to get the wheel off. Managed to get the car rehitched and the weight distribution bars on OK. No problems pulling the trailer just a little worry because the trailer is a little wider than the Highlander. We stopped on the way home to visit our friends and of course had to put up the trailer and take it down. They were amazed. Left to drive the final 100 miles home. We stopped a t local church- not to say a prayer but to use the empty parking lot to practice backing up. After about 4 attempts I felt much better. Managed to back up our Trailer into our driveway which is on a slope. Got it pretty straight too so the extra practice must have helped. It is now set up in our driveway temporarily awaiting our next adventure. Next time will be easier I hope.
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roned2 View Post
The electrical connection has three prongs but the campground outlets all had four openings. Managed to get plugged in properly and discovered you have to push on the breakers.
Roned2, congratulations on your purchase of a Trailmanor. The more you use it, the easier things will come.

If you haven't already seen them, there are a couple of great checklists available on the forum. I would advise printing them out, and carrying them with you, at least till you get more familiar with the trailer. These checklists have all kind of good tips, including what electrical adaptors you may need to carry with you for situations like you first encountered (quoted above) all the way to adjusting your electric brake controllers.

Wal-Mart & Camping World carries these electrical adaptors. Most Wal-marts have an RV section back in their automotive department.

What I did was easily email these files to my local Office Depot (you can call them to get their email address). I had them print them out for me in greyscale and 3 ring punch them for me. I picked up a few 3 ring binders and placed the checklists in it to carry with me. In total it cost less than $15.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2472

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2358

Hope this helps you.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
cmc211

If the wheel you are talking about is the one for the hitch. I never use mine. I always carry a few pieces of 4x4 for the hitch to sit on. Plus it makes the trailer more stable. Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
P and B

Rond2,

I read your story with amusement since we experienced pretty much the same things you did. Loved the part about the church. Everyone told me to use my mirrors backing up but I do much better looking over my shoulder like I normally do. It's just somehow easier to gauge where things are. If the TM wasn't so much wider than the truck the mirrors would be more useful.

I just wanted to reassure you that the whole process does get easier the more you do it. That said, this weekend will be the first time out this season. I will be upset if it's like starting all over again ;-)

Phil
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
wmtire

Phil, I must say that driveway of yours must have made you a professional trailer backer.

Your avatar pic cracks me up every time I look at it.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
Rond2,

I read your story with amusement since we experienced pretty much the same things you did. Loved the part about the church. Everyone told me to use my mirrors backing up but I do much better looking over my shoulder like I normally do. It's just somehow easier to gauge where things are. If the TM wasn't so much wider than the truck the mirrors would be more useful.

Phil
Park TV and TM in a straight line. Have someone stand behind the TM, centered, 200 feet behind the TM.

You should be able to see them in your mirrors. If not then you are not legal to tow in some states.