TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
digditches
Site Sponsor

Default Purchasing an Out of Area TM

We've looked for several months for a 2720SL or SD that is a 2008 or newer and within a short drive from where we live. We have not found the model/year we want. So, we've resigned ourselves to the fact that if we are going to purchase a TM before summer, we are going to have to go on a road trip and purchase out of the area. Since this will be our first TM, does anyone have any suggestions for questions that we should be asking when we call the selling party?
digditches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by digditches View Post
We've looked for several months for a 2720SL or SD that is a 2008 or newer and within a short drive from where we live. We have not found the model/year we want. So, we've resigned ourselves to the fact that if we are going to purchase a TM before summer, we are going to have to go on a road trip and purchase out of the area. Since this will be our first TM, does anyone have any suggestions for questions that we should be asking when we call the selling party?
Welcome and good luck with your search. There are many checklists on this site, and this link may be helpful to start:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8&postcount=14
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
ChefLamont

Checklists are a huge help throughout the whole process, especially final walk through.

If you and the seller have the ability to use Skype, a pretty good walk through can be done remotely with that. Most sellers wont spend hours doing that but you can get a really good idea of what you have in a 15-20 min showing over Skype if they are willing and able. Them taking a video on a phone or camcorder is an alternative. Third alternative is TONS and TONS of pictures. If the seller is unwilling to do any of it, it may not mean anything, but to me it is a red flag or at least a strike against it.

I know it is really nerve racking buying something sight unseen. I bought a 5th wheel and tow vehicle all in one ebay auction for my parents one time. In my opinion, many times you can judge people and what they are about in a couple of conversations. Are there dishonest people? Sure, but most folks are pretty decent. Plus I would work the transaction so there is a good sized deposit to hold it that is only refundable if the seller grossly misrepresents something. Do as much as you can in writing (email or other) especially confirming and documenting telephone calls. That way if things are way not kosher, you can demand money back. Plus the deposit gives the seller the assurance you are serious and not just yanking their chain from long distance. I have been on the other side of the coin too when I helped sell my parents diesel pusher on Craigslist. (Yes, my parents have had several RVs, and I am a good son. Thanks for asking. ) I can tell you, unless it is a dealer, the seller is just as anxious and concerned with a long-distance transaction as you are, maybe more-so. Lastly, keep in mind that it is a camper. There WILL be something wrong with it. Heck, new ones off the showroom floor of every brand have something wrong at times. Worry about protecting yourself against the big things and dont sweat the small stuff because there will almost definitely be small stuff. Hopefully, that will help ease the mind.

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

My 1/50 of a dollar.

-Steve
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I'm in western NY and was looking at a TM in Missoula, MT. The seller showed the unit via FaceTime, I was very impressed, we spent a couple hours going over every little thing. Opened and closed the TM, showed me what had been repaired, what could use some attention. The best part is you can get a feel for the seller this way too... Ultimately the distance proved too great to get the camper home. But I was very comfortable buying that unit site unseen live and in person.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I remember when we used to talk on the telephone, and felt long-distance was a(n expensive) blessing!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

And directory assistance was free but calls were expensive.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
moultonp

Default Trusted dealer

We purchased our first TM some years ago - a 2720 SL used.

We ended up doing it through the Car Show in Colorado Springs. This was before Skype so we could only go on photos and phone conversations. The dealer was great and even said that if upon arriving to pick up the unit we were not happy with it they would simply cancel the deal.

We enjoyed the unit for years, have since replaced with with a 3326 and in a few weeks we trade for our much newer 3124KS.

Good luck with your search.
moultonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
digditches
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
Welcome and good luck with your search. There are many checklists on this site, and this link may be helpful to start:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8&postcount=14
Thanks for the link to the checklist. It's very thorough and helpful. Gave us lots to think about and look at when picking up our TM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
digditches
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefLamont View Post
Checklists are a huge help throughout the whole process, especially final walk through.

If you and the seller have the ability to use Skype, a pretty good walk through can be done remotely with that. Most sellers wont spend hours doing that but you can get a really good idea of what you have in a 15-20 min showing over Skype if they are willing and able. Them taking a video on a phone or camcorder is an alternative. Third alternative is TONS and TONS of pictures. If the seller is unwilling to do any of it, it may not mean anything, but to me it is a red flag or at least a strike against it.

I know it is really nerve racking buying something sight unseen. I bought a 5th wheel and tow vehicle all in one ebay auction for my parents one time. In my opinion, many times you can judge people and what they are about in a couple of conversations. Are there dishonest people? Sure, but most folks are pretty decent. Plus I would work the transaction so there is a good sized deposit to hold it that is only refundable if the seller grossly misrepresents something. Do as much as you can in writing (email or other) especially confirming and documenting telephone calls. That way if things are way not kosher, you can demand money back. Plus the deposit gives the seller the assurance you are serious and not just yanking their chain from long distance. I have been on the other side of the coin too when I helped sell my parents diesel pusher on Craigslist. (Yes, my parents have had several RVs, and I am a good son. Thanks for asking. ) I can tell you, unless it is a dealer, the seller is just as anxious and concerned with a long-distance transaction as you are, maybe more-so. Lastly, keep in mind that it is a camper. There WILL be something wrong with it. Heck, new ones off the showroom floor of every brand have something wrong at times. Worry about protecting yourself against the big things and dont sweat the small stuff because there will almost definitely be small stuff. Hopefully, that will help ease the mind.

Good luck and report back on how it goes.

My 1/50 of a dollar.

-Steve
I agree, most folks are honest. When the dealer found out we were serious about purchasing the unit and driving a distance, he immediately offered to do a narrated video for us. We're waiting for that now. They also agreed to hold the unit longer than normal with a refundable deposit due to the distance.

We also had one place recommend that we not travel for the unit they had on their lot. It was a consignment unit and was being sold as-is.

The link to the checklist is going to be very helpful during the walkthrough and will help make us aware of things to look at.

Still nervous about driving 1,000+ miles to purchase something only seen in pictures.