TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
kevin425

Default Disappointed in Trailmanor quality

I have been been looking for a used trailmanor for two years. I've wanted either the 2922KB or 3124KB. New was too much money, so I've been waiting for someone to sell a newer used one. I've looked at different models mainly out of curiosity and see how they worked, and was impressed with the design and engineering. Now...to find the one that fits my family.

After checking craigslist, oodle, etc for two years, a 2013 2922KB was being sold two hours from my house. I drove down to take a look with the intent to buy if it was in good condition. Having had a bad experience with a travel trailer a few years back, I was going to inspect it very closely before buying.

I had never looked at a trailmanor with the level of detail I put into this one. I spent about an hour going over every inch of the rig. I was severerly disappointed in the overall quaility of the unit. Now, this was a 2013 model that had been stored in a garage and barely used. It showed very little signs of extensive usage, and was bought new in 2013 from an Oregon dealer. The family wasn't all that "into" camping, and was now selling it. So for all stents and purposes, it was a barely used rig.

1.) The front vent was leaking, leaving a puddle of water on the floor. The owner had pulled it out of the garage for me to look at, and it was pouring. (I live in the Seattle area.) A 2013, barely used trailer shouldn't be leaking already. I inspected the outside and there wasn't any damage to the vent. It was a poor caulking job that let to the leak.

I pulled off the plastic vent molding that attached to the inside ceiling of the trailmanor. 2 of the four screws pulled right out, not needing to be turned. It's not a surprise as the screws are sunk into less than a millimeter of aluminum framing, with nothing substantial to bite. I looked at the foam insulation, and wasn't impressed. Trialmanor could have used a much better, closed-cell insulating foam that would have given a higher R value then what they used. They used a very cheap styrofoam.

2.) I noticed that many screws throughout the interior were either missing or had backed out. There just isn't enough structure for the screws to bite into and hold.

3.) I checked the battery and one of the cables pulled right out of the ring terminal that fit around the batter post. There wasn't any rust. It was that the ring connector wasn't properly crimped to the wire.

4.) there was a lot of gaps around the beds where they meet the shells. It allowed for a lot of cold spots, bug and rodent entrances. The small peice of fabric that goes over the bag seals to close up the gaps just isn't robust enough to provide any insulation, though it would keep out the bugs and mice...maybe. This would limit the cold-option camping I would like to do.

5.) Half of the piping under the sinks was not secure. The pipes wiggles around and I could see where trailmanor attempted to secure them, but it was an inadequate job.

6.) When closed, there was a quarter-inch gap in the top-shell bag seal where it met the bottom shell. This gap would allow bugs, water and rodents to enter. I understand that the torsion bars can be adjusted to make it fit tighter, but its only 2 years old with almost no use. It needs adjustment already?

7.) Everything was super light weight, thus lacking any real durability. The drawers, drawer slides, table, bath framing, etc all felt that it could easily break.

8.) Too many gaps all the way around the unit. I would have to store this outside. There was too many gaps that mice and rain would get in. If I could store it in a garage, all these gaps wouldn't be an issue. But it's not a "leave outside over winter" type of unit.

While I still love the idea of the folding trail, I really wish Trailmanor would make a version that's a bit more robust. I'd gladly buy one that's 500lbs heavier and much more solidly built. As the seller stated to me, they make everything so thin so it can be light.

It seems like a great trailor for someone who has a mini-van style tow vehicle and garage to store it in. For someone with a full-size truck and no garage, it just doesn't make sense to spend that type of money for something that seems so flimsy.

I feel crushed. I was so excited about purchasing it, had the cash in hand, waiting two years for the right model, and walked away disappointed. If I had bought it, I would have had to spend a number of house recalking the vent, adjusting the torsion bars, fixing/tightening all the screws, checking all the electrical crimps and securing all the plumbing. That just seems like a long to-do list on a two-year old trailer that cost $30,000 new.

Trailmanor is off my list. Now to start researching for a different brand.