TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
loolindsay

Default San Fran Bay Area to Yellowstone

We just purchased a 2518 (1999) in anticipation of taking a trip to Yellowstone next September. We are in the early stages of planning, making reservations, etc. Big question is: has anyone else taken the trip (not necessarily in a TM) from the immediate San Fran Bay Area to Yellowstone? We were wondering if we are being too optomistic thinking we could make it to Elko, NV the first night, and then hit Yellowstone by the second night. We are planning to depart from home early on a Saturday morning, with the thought that we wouldn't hit much traffic along the way.
Side note: we are thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful family. I can always count on the forum to provide such excellent insight into owning, maintaining, outfitting etc. our new 'home away from home'.
Any comments regarding our upcoming Yellowstone adventure are sincerely welcome and appreciated.

Wayne & Abbie Balland
Old 10-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
PopBeavers

July 2004 we took a road trip, without a trailer, and drove from San Jose to Sandpointe, ID to Yellowstone to Aspen, CO to Las Vegas, NV to San Jose in 10 days. I don't think Enterprise car rentals likes me. That was over 4 thousand miles in 10 days.

We spent 3 days in Yellowstone. 3 days is enough time to drive all the roads. If you want to get out and walk around then you will need more time. Some people are happy with a short visit because they don't want to walk much. As a backpacker, I could spend a month there if I could afford the time.

I have driven a 1997 Dodge Dakota V6 truck from Salt Lake City, UT to San Jose. It was 777 miles and it took 10 hours (noon o 10 pm on a Sunday) *WITH NO TRAILER*. I was driving at an agressive speed most of the time.

San Jose to Elko is 550 miles. I don't like to tow faster than 60 mph. I would be able to drive that far in a day while towing my TM, but many people would not like to do that.

I love to drive. In 2002, after working all day I drove non stop (except for gas) from San Jose to Albequerque, NM, arriving at 6am. I don't consider that to be excessive, but it depends on the individual.

Unless you really like to drive, I recommend you consider a little shorter distance for one day. I'm sure others here will have more reasonable advise than I do on reasonable distances for a day.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mapquest says that San Francisco to Elko is 507.31 miles. (Pretty accurate, huh, since that last 0.01 miles represents about 50 feet?) Anyway, it really depends on exactly where you start from - maybe it is 50 miles shorter, maybe 50 miles longer. However, the initial leg out through Sacramento is not fast, as I recall. And of course you can't make it up by doing 80 once you hit Nevada - 65 mph is pretty much a practical limit for the TM.

We usually consider 600 miles with the TM to be a LONG day, and we do it only in easier parts of the country. We consider 400 miles to be an easy day. So you are kind of in the middle. My real concern is that it sounds like you are pretty new to your TM and long-distance towing with it. No matter how well it tows, and even if things go fine, those first few long tows are tiring.

The next day is another 500 miles, assuming you are going to the Fishing Bridge campground near the east entrance (the only campground in the park with hookups). And a lot of these are slower non-interstate miles.

Instead of doing it in two days/one night and beating yourselves to death, you might consider spending two nights on the road and arriving at noon or so on the third day.

Unless you have a real need to get there - and are prepared to be pooped when you arrive - I kinda agree with Wayne. Take an extra day and relax.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
loolindsay

I understand the 'long day driving' issue. Especially being Newbies to the TM world. We intentionally bought our TM early enough to have a get acquainted time before the big adventure. As of today, we have yet to take it anywhere! Hoping for a local campground opening soon, so we can get going.
Husband and I did do a cross country trip (he driving a U-Haul, towing a vehicle behind, me driving an additional small vehicle), we were able to do about 10 hours a day. Granted, that isn't going along with the whole idea of having a 'camper' and enjoying the journey.
Thank you for your input. You've given us food for thought. I always enjoy your comments as I read through other threads - you're the MAN!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
loolindsay

This is exactly why I LOVE the TM family. Such wonderful advice, insight from y'all.
We are thinking of starting our trip on September 2, 2006, so it should be early enough as to avoid the snow at higher elevations.
Husband and I (as I read the thoughts from others) are already reconsidering our ambitious thoughts of 'just get to the destination, then relax'. We rarely take vacations, as we have a dog that is a part of us. Flying vacations are pretty much out of the question.
Thank you so much for your input. We value each and every bit of personal experience we can garner from those who have 'been there, done that'.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
Glenn in TN

Leon in Texas,

I wish you would call and tell my DW what is written in this thread (I can't get her to sit long enough to read this). We took our 2619 TM this summer from Memphis to Shenendoah NP in one sitting. With her doing a lot of the driving, we left our house at about 5:30 (CDT) in the morning and got there at @ 8:00 (EDT). Mapquest has it listed at 717.13 miles. It also says @11 hours, but we didn't make it that fast. She was driving around 70 MPH. We generally only go on 500 mile (@8 hr) trips.

We had planned on stopping at a state park just over the VA line, but she changed her mind just as we left! I wonder if anyone else has that problem?

I did buy new tires this year and upgraded to 14" tires. They are a Chapperral radial brand. The 13" Carlisles weren't holding up.

We are planning a trip out west in the coming years. As a cost saving measure, we might even stay in a Walmart. Has anyone ever done this -- and does Walmart still allow this?
Old 10-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Glenn in TN

I made this trip too! All I had was a sore rear end! And stiff knees, back, and hips. She usually gets her way!! I don't complain much -- at least she loves to camp. There's only one couple we know that likes to camp and does it enough to get out with from time to time. Most of our friends think we're crazy (or worse).

We usually go as far as the Smokies. The closest we've been to Yellowstone is Hot Springs, AR. What might there be in the north part of Texas and beyond?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn in TN
We are planning a trip out west in the coming years. As a cost saving measure, we might even stay in a Walmart. Has anyone ever done this -- and does Walmart still allow this?
Glenn -

There has been a lot of discussion about staying in Wal Mart parking lots. Use the Search tool to turn it up.

BTW, if anyone isn't clear about how to use the Search tool, send me a priviate message and I'll get you started. It is EASY! And it is nice to be able to find the info you need, when you need it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
realbtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolindsay
This is exactly why I LOVE the TM family. Such wonderful advice, insight from y'all.
We are thinking of starting our trip on September 2, 2006, so it should be early enough as to avoid the snow at higher elevations.
You ought to be OK but up here the only thing you can say for sure about the weather is that you can't say anything for sure about it. I live about 300 mi from Ystone and often go down there in May or Sept to avoid the annual running of the winnebagos. Late May this year I was riding my motorcycle in a T shirt. Sept can be beautiful, cold and drizzly or slushy snow. Don't let that stop you but be prepared for all types of weather. The elk start gathering their harems in Sept and their bugling is awesome.

If you're that far from home you might also consider Glacier NP. Going to the Sun road is a must see and is usually open thru Sept plus Glacier is about 3000' lower than Ystoneand usually a bit warmer. You'll need to drop the TM to go over the pass as they don't allow trailers. My favorite area is Two Medicine near East Glacier. I have seen empty campsites on 4th of July weekend there.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
Camp Sand

Post Yellowstone Trip

Great choice of where to take your TM. My husband and I grew up in Santa Cruz and moved to Salt Lake City area 15 years ago. We have worn out HWY 80 since then! I think you can do your plan. It is the kind of day that you only stop when you need gas and you do all you need to do in those stops. We have taken our TM to Watsonville and I think it took us about 15 hours. We've also taken our TM to North Dakota through Yellowstone and I think that was about another 4+ hours. What ever you do, I wouldn't plan to stay in Battle Mountain, NV. It really is an arm pit. We've stayed overnight there in our TM and would avoid it in the future. Have a great time!