TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
ricknjoy1

Cool What is the best tote size for Traimanor

We have a 97 3023 the dump values are close to the ground .
What size Tote will fit lower to the ground so gravity will work.
We have seen the one built for pop ups but the wheels were so small that it looked hard to handle.
We camp at Florida State parks and the dumps are usualy a good distance from the sites .We need to pull the tote behind the truck.
I have not used the tote and have only seen the tote as it stands at Camping world .
We have a 10 day trip coming up and would like advise as to the type and size of tote we need and if there are special way to rig for clean flow from the valve to the tank.
Thanks
Ricknjoy
2005 Tundra v6
97 3023
Old 04-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Blue Tote

Everyone is different. But in my mind, the smaller the better! I think we have a 10 gallon tote which we occasionally use. When almost full it's still liftable into the bed of the truck, for disposal at the dump station. Much larger than that, and transporting it becomes an issue. I never cared for the larger totes that are dragged behind the TV to the DS, but that's just my opinion.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I have never had the need for a tote, because I have never camped in one place for more than four days. But I am interested in the subject and read anything posted about it.

On rv.net forums someone modified their blue toto to replace the wheels with wider and larger inflatable wheels so that it would roll better on poor surfaces. You might consider that modification.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
mtnguy

So, why not buy a bigger tote, but if it is impractical to tow to the dump station, just fill it partially so that you can either pull it or lift it into the tow vehicle. 2 or 3 trips instead of 1 for that scenerio, but you still have the option of towing it if the opportunity is there. Having a 15 or 20 gal. tote doesn't mean you have to fill it to the brim every time. Of course, storage could be a problem.

mtnguy
Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Freedom

mtnguy, Have you though about where you'll carry the tote when it's empty? There have been a couple of threads about the blue totes and one problem that has been discussed repeatedly is "what to do with them when you're not using them?"
Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The 10-gallon tote can be carried in the empty space on the spare tire rack under the TM. Completely out of the way. There was a short thread on this a couple years ago. If anyone finds it, please post a link.

A larger tote, of course, won't fit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
ricknjoy1

Default Leslie and Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick View Post
Everyone is different. But in my mind, the smaller the better! I think we have a 10 gallon tote which we occasionally use. When almost full it's still liftable into the bed of the truck, for disposal at the dump station. Much larger than that, and transporting it becomes an issue. I never cared for the larger totes that are dragged behind the TV to the DS, but that's just my opinion.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]
Thank you for your reply.
Will the standard drop hose work are is their a special drop hose for the tote tank . Our drop is almost the height of the tank
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
ricknjoy1

Cool Texas Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
All totes look good and are easily pulled across the showroom floor when empty. However, at the campsite, a full tote may have to be pulled over thick, wet grass, or mud or loose gravel and will have to be pulled up hill. Tugging a 20 gal tote (150 lbs) up hill will be difficult. Once up to the driveway, even a 10 gal can be hooked to the tv hitch ball ( with a short piece of rope ) and towed to the dump station.
That's why I opted for the 10 gal.
Using a tote requires one to monitor his holding tanks and dump often. Two or three trips to the dump station with a 10 gal. tote beats one trip with a larger one, for me anyway...
hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply.
The tote is almost the same height as the drop . Do you use a special hose to the tote to avoid a mess or will the standard sewage hose drawn out work with the tank.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
ricknjoy1

Default Texas camper

Thank you for the pictures
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Blue Tote

[QUOTE Thank you for your reply.
Will the standard drop hose work are is their a special drop hose for the tote tank. Our drop is almost the height of the tank[/QUOTE]

I had an extra sewer hose laying around, so I made a shorter hose to go from the TM drain pipe to the blue tote. You can buy the plastic fittings at most RV places (even Wal-Mart). The fitting attaches securely to the tote, so there is little chance of splashing. So there is a twist-on locking fitting at both ends of the hose. Hope this makes sense!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote