TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default IMPORTANT! Check your nuts...(and bolts).

We just returned from a 10 day trip to the Mojave desert (California) area.  First night out as we started to set up I discovered that one of the two nuts/bolts that hold the latch mechanism (the black thing with the rubber tip at the end of the swing arm) had fallen out somewhere.  Fortunately the mechanism  pivoted on the remaining bolt and was still holding (by the smallest of margins).  A good bounce probably would have allowed it to pop free while we were traveling...I don't want to think about what that might have caused.  At any rate we were close enough still to a town that a replacement bolt/nut could be obtained.  I checked all the other bolts (including the swing arm bolts) and discovered another one (in the same mechanism - opposite side) that needed tightening.  If you look at it you can see that there are four attachment holes with two bolts through.  One of the bolts is at the edge and is backed by the metal bracket so that a square nut can be used (and won't turn because of the metal), but the other bolt was not backed by metal and was more easily able to come free.  I used a lock nut to secure the replacement bolt and will replace the others with the same now that we have returned.

I'll post some comments/observations later about our new battery setup, the bed's comfort, Heater Buddy use, toilet experiences, solar panel use, screen door and other things I might remember.  But wanted to get this warning out ASAP.

Jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
grkman1

Default Re: IMPORTANT! Check your nuts...(and bolts).

I just got back from a trip to Boston area, and when I parked my 2619 after our 3000 miles trip I too noticed that not only had these bolts become loose, but that it didnt keep my front section of the TM tight and in the down position.

Because of the loose bolt, the angle of the mechanism and the arm that it is attached to, increased thus causing the front section to come up a few inches.

I will take care of this before my next trip out....thanks for this warning, and I hope others check this out on their units

George
Old 03-30-2003, 11:33 AM   #3

??? i am lost,What nuts/bolts on Hold down (what latch mechanism) ????  ??? Hate to B lost like this
Thanks Rich  :P

night out as we started to set up I discovered that one of the two nuts/bolts that hold the latch mechanism
Old 03-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Rich,
I'm not referring to the corner latches (that you can put locks through), but the black latch mechanisms at the ends of the swing arms.  When you set up you have to undo all the corner latches and then move to the middle of the trailer and release two more latches on each side.  They are black on my unit and have a rubber tip on the pull lever.  Each of these is held on (and adjusted) with two bolts.  When you close down each half of the trailer has to click into these latches to hold it closed in the middle.  If you go around and check/tighten each bolt you can see then you will also have covered it if this hasn't cleared it up. That's something I've added to my pre-trip checklist now.

jim

Old 03-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #5

;D OK Jim, Now I got it !
Was thinking on the lines of the Hitch or them there White latches , but are Spring latches Yes ?
Thanks agin , soon as the morning comes I will check them ,
Happy Day to you
Rich   ;D
Old 04-21-2003, 04:40 AM   #6
Robin

I discovered missing and loose bolts on two of my black latches while on the road late at night.  I was able to buy new ones at a truck stop and put them on myself.  It was a close call.  Lesson learned:  walk around your TM at every gas stop and look carefully at everything.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:05 AM   #7
arknoah

One of the hooks that keeps our unit closed fell off on the way to the dealer for some other work.  Once they caught it, I made a mental note to check those buts and bolts periodically.  Sure helps.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #8

Default Re: IMPORTANT!  Check your nuts...(and bolts).

I had the latch break off (bottomed out leaving a gas station).  The good news is the TM seems to work well without the latch - although I wouldn't recommend it.  I've ordered a replacement, but in the mean time I've jury rigged something with a bit of wire cable.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:29 AM   #9
efelker

All:

Would it make sense to add a lock washer or Lock-tite to any of these bolts and nuts?  Would that degrade the performance of what they are fastening in any way?
Old 06-06-2003, 05:59 AM   #10
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

efelker,

A lock washer is already part of the setup, as I recall, but it is a star washer.  A split washer is preferable.  I used both the washer and a locknut.  Locktite would not be a problem as long as you use the type that allows the bolt to be removed at a later date if needed. I didn't use it at the time because I have at least two bottles here at home and really didn't want to buy another one on the road.  
jim