TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Simon3xUD

Default Suggestions for California trip?

Hi all,

The dogs and I will be heading west this November for the dog agility national championships (Scottsdale, AZ) and then the australian shepherd national show (Paso Robles, CA). We'll have a week to play tourist in the central coast region of California in between these events.

Anyone have any recommendations on parks/campgrounds in that region that are:
1) reasonably priced
2) pet friendly
3) have elec. hookups
4) located such that day trips to sight-see are feasible.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for "not to be missed" places/things to visit.

Gee, I'm not asking for much am I : ?

Thanks for any ideas..
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Suggestions for California trip?

We've spent some time in the Central CA area, and have a great camping book as a reference, so maybe we could help.

When you are talking about Central CA, do you mean right around Paso Robles? Are you interested in Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, ?? Or do you want to come further north to Monterey, Big Sur, etc?

We've been to Hearst Castle a few times, wouldn't miss that. The whole area around Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, etc. is great.

There is a very reasonably priced campground in Oceano, CA (close to Pismo) http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/oceano.htm
but they don't take reservations. If you're going midweek, you can probably get in. I'd call about pet policies. It's pretty centrally located. Just don't stay by the dumpster, they picked up the garbage very early in the morning when we stayed there.

We stayed in Pismo a month ago and had fun driving on the beach. People park their RV's on the beach and camp there, $6 a night.

We stayed at the Pismo Coast Village RV Park. It was a little close for our tastes, and a lot of little kids running around, but a great location right on the beach. http://www.rvbeach.com/ We stayed right by one of the playgrounds, that was a mistake. The sites at the top left of their map looked the best to me, after riding around the park on my bike a few times.

There is a State Park http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=595 "Oceano Dunes" very close to the resort we stayed at but I don't think they have sewer, just water and electric. You could probably get in there and get reservations.

There are so many things to do in that area, lots of State Parks, beaches, hiking, restaurants, piers, bike riding, etc.

Be aware that at many of the campgrounds you may be close to the train tracks, and the trains run at very late hours (you will think there is an earthquake if you aren't expecting it).

If you would like more info, just let me know. We are in Santa Cruz County.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
Windbreaker

In seeing where your first campground is located, I could not believe you did not tell him he had to go to the mens' room in the Madonna Inn.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
Simon3xUD

[quote author=Windbreaker link=board=16;threadid=2188;start=msg15227#msg1522 7 date=1091420948]
In seeing where your first campground is located, I could not believe you did not tell him he had to go to the mens' room in the Madonna Inn.
[/quote]

Um, I think I'd be :-[ for sure if not outright arrested should I go to the mens' room in the Madonna Inn ??? After all, "he" is a SHE !

Sure, my login id implies I'm a guy but last time I checked I was all gal . My id is in memory of my dog "Simon" who earned 3 Utility Dog (UD) obedience titles. When in doubt, check the .sig
Old 08-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Windbreaker

Lots of women go to the "men's" room in the Madonna Inn. I had been told to be sure to go there and when I did I went back out and pushed my wife in so she could see it. While we were in a group of three women came it to see it.

Trust me you have to go in, just yell when you open the door. and make sure you walk up to the copper wall just as if you were male, then back away!
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
jbeletti
Jim

Okay - after all the build up, I had to take a virtual trip (thanks to Google). Here's a link to the men's room at the Madonna Inn. It includes pictures of the paddle/wheel copper urinal and the waterfall rock urinal. It even has a video showing the waterfall being activated (G rated).

http://www.urinal.net/madonna/
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
Windbreaker

Great web site but the photos make it look so small. That rock wall is like 12' high maybe.

The part of that story that I didn't tell is that was the first trip my wife and I took together. I'm sure she thought I was somekind of major freak for asking her to go to the men's room with me.