TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
CORNFEDDOBY

Default Recommed WDH? Double receiver for bike rack?

1) Can anyone recommend a good WDH? Just like everyone, I am looking for good quality and ease of use. I hear the Equilizer and Reese WDH mentioned a lot. Anything good or bad about both? Or any other ones recommended?

2) Also, I saw a TV with a receiver that split off into two other receivers, one receiver over another. The bottom receiver was used to tow the trailer and the top receiver had a bike rack on it. I never got the name of the manufacturer and it didn't look homemade. Anyone ever see anything like that before?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default dual hitch receiver at camping world

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNFEDDOBY View Post
2) Also, I saw a TV with a receiver that split off into two other receivers, one receiver over another. The bottom receiver was used to tow the trailer and the top receiver had a bike rack on it. I never got the name of the manufacturer and it didn't look homemade. Anyone ever see anything like that before?
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...EJbe0K9gBRMUKw
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have never hooked up an Equal-I-Zer hitch, but I seem to recall that in order to raise the spring bars into towing position (and presumably to lower them as you unhitch), you have to jack up the tongue of the trailer while the coupler is attached to the hitch ball on the tow vehicle. Can anyone confirm or deny?

With a more conventional WDH, such as the Reese you mention, the spring bars have a short length of chain attached to the tips. You put the proper link of the chain over a hook that is on the trailer frame, and raise the hook with a "cheater bar" - a short length of pipe. No jacking is required.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have never hooked up an Equal-I-Zer hitch, but I seem to recall that in order to raise the spring bars into towing position (and presumably to lower them as you unhitch), you have to jack up the tongue of the trailer while the coupler is attached to the hitch ball on the tow vehicle. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Bill
Sure Bill, I'll confirm your statement. When I connect the TM to the TV I connect the hitch to the ball, then extend the electric jack to raise the hitch so I can easily push the spring arms onto the sway bracket. Then retract it and I'm ready to go...

Also when disconnecting the TV/TM I extend the jack, which releases the pressure on the spring arms so they can easily be swung out. All this is made much easier because of the electric jack.

CornFedBou, here is a link to the directions, just in case you hadn't already seen it.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...structions.pdf

HTH, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default "Robin" is a clone for Reese,

and typically costs a lot less. (Camping World, local store, wherever). For a TM, buy the "1000 lb." version.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
CORNFEDDOBY

Default Thx

Thx for your replies. Will be driving around North Florida tomorrow to look at few TM. Then will end the day Mountain Biking at Santos Trailheads in Ocala. Thx for the responses.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
jellis

Another factor to consider with the Equalizer is, it's HEAVY. We really like ours otherwise, but be aware of what you're getting, particularly if you'll be taking it off and reinstalling often. It helps to take the spring bars off separately before removing the hitch itself. I always do this, but have seen folks taking the whole assembly off (including spring bars) at once. Ouch!
Jon and Rita