TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
greaves

Default Camp site in South Padre, TX or Gulf Shores, AL

We had such a great time at the beach in Galveston this weekend that I can see that I need to plans the boys Spring break on a beach. Spring Break is in March and I know that South Parde, TX and Gulf Shores, AL have great beaches. Can anybody recomend camp sites in either of these areas? I chose these sites due to distance from Houston - If anybody knows of any other great beaches closer - I am open for suggestions!!

Thanks GM
Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
KC Dave

Gulf Shores State Park is a great park. It's on a giant freshwater lagoon. Right across from the beach. Good facilities.

http://www.alapark.com/parks/feature...22&featureid=7
Old 03-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Leon covered it pretty well, about all I can add is Padre Island National Seashore. If you have 4x4 you can drive south for miles on uninhabited beach. I don't think they have hookups in the campground though.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Port Aransas .......

.....area, on Mustang Island, about 10-20 mile stretch north of Corpus Christi.

We just completed 1 month at Pioneer Beach RV Resort (3 mi S. of Port-A). A rather large, well managed campground. Has it's own board walk to the beach. The beach is snowy white and runs for around 10 miles.

Mustang Island State Park, with very nice campground, is about half way between Port-A and Corpus Christi. More of the same white beaches.

We departed{ } Monday.... as an estimated 20,000 spring breakers were just beginning to flock to Mustang, Padre and South Padre Islands. Phew, just in the nick of time. The youngsters on the beach were already beginning to look for the girls gone wild photogs.

Denny_A [saw snow on the ground today. Much more at home tomorrow]
Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
Denny
Thanks for the report. We've been through Port-A' a few times. Lots of campgrounds there if I remember correctly. Had some neighbors once that went there every year to fish.
I hope you got down to Corpus to the aircraft carrier and the Texas State Aquarium.
How did the truck and camper fare on the ferry?
Yup....surf fisherman were qite common....many folks from the RV park return each yr just for the surf fishing and charter fishing . I visited the Aquarium and the Lexington[AC Carrier] during the previous visit in our dearly departed TM.

We took the Whooping crane tour at Rockford. A four hour tour. On the Minnow! {made that part up}. The Whooping cranes have been gradually repopulated at Necedah, here in Wisconsin. THe POrt-A N.W.R. has about 1/2 of the wintering cranes and Florida the remainder. They are a wonder to behold in the wild. Our cruise counted 37. Even viewed a turf battle between a couple of juvenile cranes and a breeding pair. Lots of posturing and aerial chasing going on. The tour guide said that we had seen what very few others on such a tour had seen.

The truck-TT was no problem on the ferry. I was holding my breath as the TT rt. side was sqeezed to w/in a few inches of the Con-tower. The Tundra tows the camper just fine, avg'ing 11 mpg in a tail wind, 10 mpg no wind and 9 to 8 mpg in a headwind . So far the trailer obeys and goes where its towed to! We're running 1000 to 1500 lbs under the Tundra's tow specs, so it's not overmatched in the eastern 2/3 rds of the USA. Also NO sway probs at all (Equal-I-zer WDH)

Cheers,

Denny