TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
IzzyCamper

Default Utah & GC during July: Trip Planning

Hello everyone,

Coming out of lurk mode to think through our first really long trip in the TM. This will be our third summer with a 2720. Our longest trip so far has been a week and a half, but this year we will be traveling this June/July with two adults, two kids, and a dog for about 35 days. The plan right now is to leave Michigan and visit Badlands/Yellowstone/Tetons and then head down to Utah and at some point hit Arches/Canyonlands, Zion/Bryce, and then the Grand Canyon.

My husband will be part-time working from the road, so we're balancing days he mostly stays and works with days we need to board the dog in order to get out as a family and explore.

Before kids, we did the Yellowstone/Teton area, so we're feeling good about that part of the planning. I'm stuck right now planning the southern Utah part of this trip -- more specifically, the smaller stops along the way that could make the trip more interesting. Has anyone done the Grand Escalante Staircase area? Monument Valley? Valley of the Gods? Gooseneck State Park? We're mostly going to be in (or just outside) the larger, busy parks, so we'd like to have a few nights of quieter camping, but I'm worried about the weather, heat, etc. during July. The scenery at Gooseneck State Park looks especially interesting, but there's no electricity, so maybe July is a bad time for it. Also, can I drive through Monument Valley pulling a TM? I'm trying to plan for appx 4 days in each major park (except Bryce 'cause we don't seem to have dog boarding options there & also fewer in Arches/Canyonlands 'cause it just looks like it will be so darn hot), so I don't have many "extra" days and want to use them well.

Any thoughts about Utah camping are appreciated.

Thanks! --Izzy
IzzyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote