TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Jampcourt

I revisited the map at Chaco, and I am incorrect in reporting that one could not drive to the ruins, as there is a road all the way! That's what I get for relying on memories at my age.
I still do not recommend the road with a TM....
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Thanks for digging up this piece of info. My wife and I had given up visiting Chaco, since last time we checked, we also learned that the hike to the ruins was long and difficult. With your new info, we will plan on visiting the ruins this spring or maybe next fall.

Have you been on this road? Why the caution about taking the TM? We are perfectly willing to find a campground many miles away, and then drive in. But perhaps the campground on site, like the road, has been improved since we last checked.

[Edit] I just checked the NPS web page for Chaco, and they confirm what you said - "20 miles of rough dirt road. Not recommended for RVs." Given the number of screws that shake loose in my TM on a normal road, I think I will heed that advice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Jampcourt

Yes, I saw that warning in the website, too, and even with my less than perfect memory, I do remember the roads quite well!
My husband and I also thought of camping somewhere else close by and visiting Chaco as a day drive, but there is just not much close by! I do recall reading somewhere that the roads are kept in the unimproved condition for a reason.....the ruins are so delicate that the NPS does not encourage heavy usage of this area. It is very special, and we'd love to return, but not with the TM.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
My husband and I also thought of camping somewhere else close by and visiting Chaco as a day drive, but there is just not much close by!
You are right about that! It appears that the nearest campgrounds with any hookups are in Grants, about 2 hours south of Chaco on I-40.

There are at least 3 campgrounds in Grants. None is elaborate, all are easy to get to, comfortable, and CHEAP ($18 for full hookups!) I recommend staying away from the Cibola Sands KOA - if it rains or snows even a little, it turns into mud. Blue Spruce campground is good. We've stayed at both of those. We've not stayed at Bar-S, because it appears to be near a big Love's truck stop, which would be noisy.

EDIT May 2018. We stayed at the Cibola Sands KOA recently, and were much happier than last time. The campground has been re-graveled to cure the mud problem, and cleaned up and expanded. It is also well off I-40, and so is quieter than Blue Spruce.

Incidentally, Grants is an interesting town in itself, and close by a number of interesting places to visit. Think especially about Acoma Sky City, an old but still occupied Native American village built atop a high mesa. Yes, you hike up the side of the mesa to get to the village. El Morro National Monument has petroglyphs, some moderate hiking, spectacular views, and a hidden water hole used by Indians, as well as Spanish and Anglo explorers, for thousands of years. El Malpais National Monument has some serious hiking, plus lots of volcanic leftovers such as lava tubes and caves. Since the Grants area was overrun by volcanic lava long ago, there was a lot of mining in the area, and there is a mining museum and tour in town.

Incidentally again, Grants has the only real hospital in the area - otherwise you have to go into Albuquerque, and fight your way through crowded streets and traffic.

Bill
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Sterman
Site Sponsor

The dirt road from US 550 to Chaco Canyon is notoriously rough. It's long, dusty, washboardy and rutted, not good for a TM.
The NPS is hesitant to improve the road because they want to keep the traffic down to reduce the impact on the area.

https://www.nps.gov/chcu/planyourvisit/directions.htm
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

OK, now I am getting confused. The link you provided describes access roads from both the north (Rte 550 to Rte 7900) and the south (Rte 9 to Highway 57).

But beware - from the north, there is apparently signage indicating that access can be had via Rte 57. However, this source
https://www.nps.gov/chcu/planyourvis...traveltips.htm
seems to say that the north approach on Highway 57 is permanently closed, and the proper access from the north is now Rte 550 to 7900 to 7950.

It would seem wise to phone before going, especially if you plan to approach from the north.

Bill
Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Jampcourt

Ah, some new ideas to consider! Have to work around the anticipated birth of my daughter's first child and a sibling's 50th wedding anniversary, but it helps to have a new perspective. We had a very special experience at Chaco, and have always wanted very much to return. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
Jampcourt

.....and thanks for pointing out the need for further investigation of the current routes. It does not surprise me if the road had to be closed, as it would not have been a priority for any kind of improvement. We will do some more checking before making any plans to go to the area. You all have sparked an old desire to return to Chaco!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #19
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

There's a lot to like in NM. One of our favorite campgrounds there is Bottomless Lakes State Park in the eastern part. Close to Roswell.

Then there's the Cloudcroft area, an oasis up in the clouds, there is a good National Forest Service campground nearby.

Elephant Butte state park is good near wonderful Bosque Del Apache NWR.

So is Oliver Lee near White Sands Missile Range.

There's a National Forest campground on the Rio Grande near Dixon, that was super. Not like the Rio Grande in Texas at all.

You're making me want to go back.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

The pups and I have enjoyed camping/hiking at Heron Lake.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote