TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Scott O

Default Rain, rain, rain!

Had our first serious rain experience the past couple of days. We were camped in Escondido California during the recent deluge. This is an unusual experience for Southern Californians. Anyhow, the TM passed with flying colors. The noise of the rain on the roof was very pleasant. The only thing we will have to add to our tool kit is a squeegie with handle long enough to get half way across the roof. We had to close up in the rain so the rear shell was wet. In driving the water flowed off the shell, down the sides, and got the front curtains a little wet. Nothing big, but can be avoided if the shell is squeegied off before closing. All in all being in the TM during a storm was a very pleasant experience.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Wink

Scott,
You should "count your blessings" it was water that ran off your roof... that same storm, over the past 3 days has "blessed" us with 18" of snow with another 6-8" expected tonight and tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question I wonder...

If the new dealer in Fallon, NV was hurt by the flood? (Broken levee this morning, about 2000 people's homes flooded badly.)

In these "wet" storms with winds from the South-Southwest, I'm directly shadowed by Mt. Rose. (Highest Mt. surrounding Lake Tahoe.) And so, I only got about 15" so far.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I got a little over 5 inches of rain on Friday. Plus the rain on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I had to make some minor adjustments to my landscape to allow the water accumulating on the back lawn to find its way to the street.

If the 5 inches of rain had been snow, I wonder how deep it would have been.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
. . . If the 5 inches of rain had been snow, I wonder how deep it would have been.
Out our way one inch of rain is equal to about ten inches of snow. It depends upon the water content of the snow and the ambient temperature.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
cali camping

Well, we did it! We went to the coast and watched this one come in. We went to Wrights Beach on the Sonoma Coast:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=451

http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...ential&flags=0

This is as close to the surf in Northern California as you can get. Luckily the wise rangers shut down the lower loop just before we got there. Saturday morning my wife was out of the trailer in the morning before I was. She started the morning with the "you might want to come out and look at this" statement. As we all know this is usually a precursor to something that is not good. As we looked down the entrance road we could see the sea swells moving across the entrance road at the peak of high tide. No big deal for us, since we were at the highest spot in the campground. Actually all the campers were high and dry, but if anyone was in the lower loop they would have been in about 2 feet of sea water that was moving pretty fast!
Always impressive to see what the forces of nature can do.
You can view the pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipcar...7603662421021/

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
BrigCA61

Wow, Chip & Kat... you are very brave souls!!! It was very windy here in Sacramento with lots of damage, I can only imagine how intense the storm was where you were. My nerves would have been seriously rattled if I had to endure that storm where you were at. Congratulations for surviving one of the biggest storms of the decade! Why don't you post this over at RV Pics, please?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigCA61 View Post
Wow, Chip & Kat... you are very brave souls!!! It was very windy here in Sacramento with lots of damage, I can only imagine how intense the storm was where you were. My nerves would have been seriously rattled if I had to endure that storm where you were at. Congratulations for surviving one of the biggest storms of the decade! Why don't you post this over at RV Pics, please?
Brigette,
I plan to post it over there, but I've been short on time...the trailer was getting moved a bit by the wind, but nothing to worry about, we had an awesome experience!

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Cool pictures! Glad you didn't get caught in that high water....but it must have been exciting to be there.

There's something really envigorating about witnessing all that extreme weather. But I guess if you've been through some really bad things like a hurricane or tornado, you probably don't like it at all.

I used to like earthquakes until we had the one in 1989 .
Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Cool pictures! Glad you didn't get caught in that high water....but it must have been exciting to be there.

There's something really envigorating about witnessing all that extreme weather. But I guess if you've been through some really bad things like a hurricane or tornado, you probably don't like it at all.

I used to like earthquakes until we had the one in 1989 .
Your right! Where we stayed was sheltered, the campground was full and actually 2 sites away some were staying in tents! In my travels I have experienced everything but a tsunami. I love the adventure aspect of it as does my wife. Hearing the surf pounding the beach was impressive!