TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default First trip in the Elk, some good, some bad.

Well, we just happened to leave on the day we had some of the strongest spring winds in the area of the season, the poor Tundra could hardly break 45mph going up the bigger hills driving directly onto a 50-60mph headwind. It was brutal, there were several "brown outs" where visibility was about 10 feet. Needless to say, I missed the 2619 in these conditions, though it would still have been hard.

I should say that I added a Equalizer hitch with 4 point sway control, it was wonderful, without it we would have had to turn back and go home. The large trucks no longer blow me off the road. The wind would move us around, but the truck and Elk were connected as one.

Once set up, we love the space, bed, bath and frig in the Elk, but it was down to 30 degrees at night so we had to use the furnace. At least I think it was on, the bath heated up nicely, but the main floorspace took a long long long time to heat up at all. The furnace was a lot quiter than the 2619, but not near as effective. We went and purchased a small electric space heater for tonight. I think that will be much better. But I am concerned about heat/battery when boon docking in the mountains. I may try to figure out a way to direct more heat into the main area instead of splitting it with the bath.

As we were topping Laveta Pass a folding TM blew by me pretty fast, I assume that they were not having as many issues with the wind as I was. I didn't see what the TV was. I think he was showing off a bit for me. LOL
Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
brulaz

We had similar problems because our Elkmont's furnace was poorly installed. Here's what I ended up doing: Fixing the furnace

But we too use a small, quiet, electric space heater when we have the juice. The furnace is just too noisy, even when it's working as it should.

50-60mph headwinds? Whoosh. I hate to imagine what your mpg was. Even going 45 mph, the combined effect would be as if you were going 95-105mph.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Redhawk

Thanks Bruce! After posting that last one, I was sitting outside trying to get a picture of the hummingbirds when I noticed water dripping out the rear of the TM. I found the cold water in connection on the hot water heater leaking. It had been for some time it appears. Turned out to be 2 leaks. The threads on the coupling going into the tank are actually damaged, I turned it around and used some silicone sealant since I didn't have any teflon tape. I'll know in the morning if this will do as a temp fix or not. I also noticed that the last person that worked on it decided that no washer was needed in the PEX connector going to the coupler.

I don't mind working the bugs out, but after the leaky toilet valve and now this....I'm tired of plumbing!!!!

I was surprised that I got 10 mpg when driving into the wind. I think it was because we had about 60 miles of smooth sailing under our belt before we hit the nasty stuff. It was Wayneo that suggested the Equalizer, so i owe him a hearty thank you! Again!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
brulaz

Oh, there will probably be more repairs and upgrades in your future.
Hopefully though, they'll be spread out a bit so you get a chance to enjoy the trailer and your nature photography.

Our trailer gets a lot of miles put on it and the vibration alone keeps shaking things apart. Just the other day I pop-riveted all the metal L-brackets in the bathroom cupboard back to the wall. Every single sheet metal screw had fallen out.

Last time we were in Pecos River area of New Mexico, Southern Rockies, the last National Forest campground at the head of the valley had a campground Host who fed thousands of hummingbirds as they migrated from the south up the Rocky Mountains. He went through hundreds of pounds of sugar every spring during the migration. His trailer and campsite must have had 12 large feeders hanging outside with several dozen birds zooming in and out. An awesome sight. Perhaps your bird went through there ...