TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
The drums are 10", and Ed said that the spare will work so it must be new too.
OUCH!! To bad you didn't know then, what you know now....... Maybe they would have let you upgrade to the 5200# axle for the price difference. Those 12" brakes would sure be nice.

It's not a big deal.........it would just be nice to have that extra cushion.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
OUCH!! To bad you didn't know then, what you know now....... Maybe they would have let you upgrade to the 5200# axle for the price difference. Those 12" brakes would sure be nice.

It's not a big deal.........it would just be nice to have that extra cushion.
Maybe. But I think the Elkmonts must be a few hundred pounds lighter than the folding Trailmanors, at least the way you guys load them. I keep hearing about people with folding Trailmanors exceeding their GAWR, but that would be pretty hard with the Elkmont.

My loaded trailer's GAW is typically 300-400# less than the GAWR and the GVW is typically 500-600# less than the trailers GVWR. And the other Elkmont weights I've seen are lower than mine.

Even when we moved my daughter across the continent, and crammed all her stuff down the centre of the trailer, and had to take it out each night, we were still 100# less than the GAWR. (However my TV's rear axle was way over on that trip).
Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Maybe. But I think the Elkmonts must be a few hundred pounds lighter than the folding Trailmanors, at least the way you guys load them. I keep hearing about people with folding Trailmanors exceeding their GAWR, but that would be pretty hard with the Elkmont.

My loaded trailer's GAW is typically 300-400# less than the GAWR and the GVW is typically 500-600# less than the trailers GVWR. And the other Elkmont weights I've seen are lower than mine.

Even when we moved my daughter across the continent, and crammed all her stuff down the centre of the trailer, and had to take it out each night, we were still 100# less than the GAWR. (However my TV's rear axle was way over on that trip).
In your case, I was thinking more of the brake size than the weight bearing capacity. If you could have gotten the 12" brakes for ~$100 extra, It would be nice to not have to be concerned about the brakes over-heating on long mountain grades.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
brulaz

Yes, bigger is better when it comes to brakes. But so far we seem ok.

Certainly part of the GAWR and GVWR is dependent upon the brake capacity. And I do use the transmission to brake on downhills, mostly because I'm more concerned about the rear drum brakes on the truck than the trailer. We often exceed the Tacoma's GVWR.

By the way, I found a Dexter Torflex Axle catalogue online. It shows that the 2300-3500# axles use #10 mounting brackets which are 10" long, but the 4000-6000# axles use #11 brackets which are 12" long. Mine are 10", so they must be 2300-3500# (hopefully 3500#).
Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
cochise

If you crawl under the trailer, you can find the serial number and the weight rating of the axle, it is stamped on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1865.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	5314   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1866.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	5315  
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
If you crawl under the trailer, you can find the serial number and the weight rating of the axle, it is stamped on it.
It's funny...........looking at those pics makes me dizzy......
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Thanks. I missed that small print near the black water tank. So definitely 3500#, not counting wheels,rims and tires. Hence the 3620# GAWR (which includes wheels,rims and tires).

By the way, it rained pretty hard down here at Long Key FL, and no leaks!! And that big patch they put on top seems to be some sort of plastic.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks. I missed that small print near the black water tank. So definitely 3500#, not counting wheels,rims and tires. Hence the 3620# GAWR (which includes wheels,rims and tires).

By the way, it rained pretty hard down here at Long Key FL, and no leaks!! And that big patch they put on top seems to be some sort of plastic.
HMMMMMMM!!!!! I wonder what the Sun will do to that plastic, over time?????

You might want to consider putting a coat of paint on it to give it some UV protection.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
HMMMMMMM!!!!! I wonder what the Sun will do to that plastic, over time?????

You might want to consider putting a coat of paint on it to give it some UV protection.
Real Good Idea. I'll do that.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
Bigbit

Make sure that the plastic will "take" the paint you use, or you'll just have a peeling mess on your hands.

We're getting some significant rains this weekend in So. Cal., so this will be another good test to see how our "virgin" factory roof will hold up. We're leaving tomorrow for Buellton for some pre-Thanksgiving camping, so we'll be towing the rig in the rain with a bit of wind - a first for us with the Elkmont. We plan to take it slow.