TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Default Newbie questions

Since I'm a newbie and haven't taken my TM on a trip yet (but I will in 3 wks), I'm trying to gleen all the info I can from the postings of experienced TM owners on this site.

I've discovered that I was rather naive to think if I can just get the trailer hitched to the truck and be able to open and close the trailer by myself, I'd be all set for my first trip with it. BTW, I was able to open and close the trailer by myself and back it into my garage... yea!

I'm now planning to go buy some things this weekend, like a multimeter (although still not entirely sure what I'll do with it), extra cordless drill and 3/4" socket for raising/lowering stabilizer jacks, foldable lug wrench, over the door towel hanger, small tube of white grease for hitch ball, Thetford Aqua Kem (I have a cassette toilet), and so on.

I had already purchased a few things, such as longer ball mount so I can open my truck tail gate without whacking the electric hitch, some wheel chocks and leveling blocks, white hose and regulator, and a hitch lock. And, I already have quite a few tools, level, etc.

So, now to the questions part...
1) Do I actually have both scissor jacks and stabilizer jacks or are those terms used synonymiously?
2) Where are the fuses? And, what spare fuses to I need to take with me? And, where can I buy them?
3) For a State Park site with electricity (for 30amp), do I really have to check the voltage before I plug in? And, do I have to turn off the circuit breaker for the outlet, plug in, then turn on the circuit breaker?
4) Do I really need to check the lug nuts ever so many miles and how do you know whether they're "tight enough"? If I can't tighten them any further?
5) Is there a water filter for the water tank? And, if so, where do you get replacements?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide. I'd like to have a good and enjoyable trip first time out with my TM, and not have a disaster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

1) Do I actually have both scissor jacks and stabilizer jacks or are those terms used synonymiously? Same jack, different name. Not be used to level, just stablize.

2) Where are the fuses? And, what spare fuses to I need to take with me? And, where can I buy them? Combinaton of Auto fuses and Household breakers.

3) For a State Park site with electricity (for 30amp), do I really have to check the voltage before I plug in? And, do I have to turn off the circuit breaker for the outlet, plug in, then turn on the circuit breaker? yes. Always turn off the park pole before pluggin in your TM.

4) Do I really need to check the lug nuts ever so many miles and how do you know whether they're "tight enough"? If I can't tighten them any further? I check mine everytime I tow. Not everyday or every fuel stop.

5) Is there a water filter for the water tank? And, if so, where do you get replacements?
Add on a filter to the hose from the camp site water source. Walmart in the RV section or any RV store. Some use a water regulator to ensure pressure does not get too high and blow out seals and clamps.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Fuses: There is a panel in the hall that back up to the bath tub. You will find most of the fuses there. They are standard auto fuses. I carry a spare for every amp fuse in the box. Also, there is 1 fuse on the positive battery wire at the battery that I carry several spares for that.

There are some other fuses. 2 for the fridge you can find them behind the outside access panels, 1 for the electric pump cassette toilet if your toilet has the elec pump option. These fuses are nice to have, but if they blow you can run the fridge on propane or not use the toilet. also there may be a fuse on the back of the radio or inline with the 12V going to the radio it you have a radio.

setup: I'm always setting up and taking down the camper and hitching up by myself. Make a check list to make sure you don't forget a step. I'm always forgetting to put up the steps and the check list catches me before I try to put it down.

State Park site with electricity: I never check the voltage at national or state parks. They hire a contractor that installs to the national elec code. The issues is the little mom and pop CS. I also turn off the breaker when plugging in or unplugging to protect myself, just in-case my hand slips onto the blades when they are partially making contact. It got me once.

Lug nuts: I check for the next 3-4 trips after the wheel has been off and around 100 miles on the first trip. But if it's always up to spec. I quit checking after that. But check you tire pressure every day before you start that days travel and they are cold. While your traveling when you stop, feel you tires and wheels they should both be about the same temp. Look at your tires to make sure they look inflated and no pieces of tire are missing. Many of us have save a roadside breakdown by taking 20 seconds to inspect our tires and their temps when we stop.

Lug wrench: Check to see if your TV lug wrench fits on the camper lug nuts. If it does this can save taking the fold up lug wrench. I also check to make sure the TV jack will work and lift the camper wheel off the ground, or I bring a jack for the camper.

Leveling blocks??? Most of us bring blocks of wood or plastic block to level our camper side to side. You may want to consider bring some pieces of 2x6's or leveling blocks. It is not recommended to level the camper using the stabilizer jacks and its a lot simpler when the camper is connected to the TV, to get the level out and put the blocks behind or ahead the low wheel and back or pull froward onto them.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
1) Do I actually have both scissor jacks and stabilizer jacks or are those terms used synonymiously? Same jack, different name. Not be used to level, just stablize.
RVCycleGuy -

I guess I will disgree a bit with your answer. A scissors jack and a stabilizer are not the same thing, though the terminology is often used interchangeably.

The first picture below is a stabilizer. It either drops down or cranks down. They are used a lot on lightweight pop-up campers, and are not very strong. Stabilizing only.

The second picture is a scissors jack. Your TM has four scissors jacks, and each one of them has a rated capacity of 5000 pounds. This is more than the entire weight of the trailer, so strength is not an issue. Both the TM owners manual and the jack manufacturer recommend using these jacks for levelling. When using them for levelling, much of the weight of the TM is still on the suspension, of course, so they are quite capable. However, they can be really hard to crank if you have to raise the trailer more than an inch or so to level it. That is why I do initial levelling by pulling the TM tires up on boards, and then using the scissors jacks to fine-tune the levelling if needed.

It is fair to note, however, that both TM and the jack manufacturer suggest NOT using the scissors jack to lift the entire side of the TM off the ground, to change a flat tire, for example. First, they would be really hard to crank when lifting that much weight that far. And second, I suspect there is a safety issue - if you are lurching and yanking and straining to crank as hard as you can, you are likely to apply some sideways force to the jack which, with all that weight, might bend it. A hydraulic jack is a much better idea.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScissorsJack.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	10156  
Attached Images

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill for the clarification. My comment in not using it to level was to insinuate leveling with the tires side to side. If by chance, the TM is not level, I have used the jacks to level but had door closure issues and it changes where the AC drain water comes down off the roof as well.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
BGR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
RVCycleGuy -

I guess I will disgree a bit with your answer. A scissors jack and a stabilizer are not the same thing, though the terminology is often used interchangeably.

The first picture below is a stabilizer. It either drops down or cranks down. They are used a lot on lightweight pop-up campers, and are not very strong. Stabilizing only.

The second picture is a scissors jack. TM has scissors jacks, and they are very strong. The TM has four of them, and each one of them has a rated capacity of 5000 pounds. This is more than the entire weight of the trailer, so strength is not an issue. Both the TM owners manual and the jack manufacturer recommend using these jacks for levelling. When using them for levelling, much of the weight of the TM is still on the suspension, of course. However, they can be really hard to crank if you have to raise the trailer more than an inch or so to level it. That is why I do initial levelling by driving up on boards under the tires, and then use the scissors jacks to fine-tune the levelling if needed.

It is fair to note, however, that both TM and the jack manufacturer suggest NOT using the scissors jack to lift the entire side of the TM off the ground, to change a flat tire, for example. First, they would be really hard to crank when lifting that much weight that far. And second, I suspect there is a safety issue - if you are lurching and yanking and straining to crank as hard as you can, you are likely to apply some sideways force to the jack which, with all that weight, might bend it. A hydraulic jack is a much better idea.

Bill
+1 on this statement.

I did my first outing with our TM last week so I am no RV expert. But i am a retired engineer and in my opinion the way the jacks are mounted does not make them safe for supporting the TM entirely. Like Bill I keep most of the weight on the axle and use the scissor jacks for final leveling and to keep the TM from rocking. I also use 4 wheel chocks to keep the trailer from rolling and bending the scissor jacks.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Thx for all the feedback. I looked under the TM and sure enough those are "scissor" jacks. So, once I level trailer from side to side and front to back, then I just need to let the the scissor jacks down for stability, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
BGR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmboyd View Post
Thx for all the feedback. I looked under the TM and sure enough those are "scissor" jacks. So, once I level trailer from side to side and front to back, then I just need to let the the scissor jacks down for stability, right?
Unless the site is badly slanted you can use the scissor jacks to level the TM. Otherwise run the low wheel up on blocks to get it roughly level side to side. Then use the tongue jack to get it level front to back and follow up with the scissor jacks for final leveling and stability.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
MT Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR123 View Post
Unless the site is badly slanted you can use the scissor jacks to level the TM. Otherwise run the low wheel up on blocks to get it roughly level side to side. Then use the tongue jack to get it level front to back and follow up with the scissor jacks for final leveling and stability.
I agree. I bought my TM at The Car Show in Colorado last fall and during our walk thru and explenation of everything I was told that you can level the TM with the scissor jacks and I asked a 2nd time and was told yes. I do believe that if I was looking at a big difference side to side I would use a wood plank under the low tire first and then fine tune the leveling and stability with the jacks.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmboyd View Post
That the way most of us do it. As mentioned in the above post, I do the the same; a little fine tuning after its on the blocks. Since my blocks will get me +- 1/2 inch side to side. I will crank the low side a little extra.

The trick is to find a good reference point for the level. I have found that every place you put your level will be difference. I have had 5 campers and all of them have been the same. The first time I level I use the floor of the fridge, since its the most critical thing to be level. Then we find points on the outside of the camper with it closed where we get the same reading and lastly we add permanent level to the camper when closed. It make it easy to get out of the TV and just look at the levels
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote