TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default 2720SL lights in vent dumb idea

After we picked up our 2011 2720SL I noticed the living room lights, the ones in the vents, rub the back shell when the front shell is closed. My fix for this dumb idea; the lights are in the vents because of clearance when closed anyways; is to pull the lights a little tighter into the vent. To do this I used some scrap inch and half aluminum angle and 1 inch flat aluminum. Cut the inch and half 4 inches long. Cut the 1 inch flat 2 1/2 inches long. The 1 inch flat needs to be bent at an 1 1/2 inch minus the thickness of the 1 1/2 inch angle. You are going to pop rivet the flat piece to 1 1/2 angle in the middle thus forming a small channel. Align all this with the bracket that runs front to back in the vent, has the crank handle attached, and the two holes closest to each other in each light that face the front of the TM. If someone can give instruction I'll add pictures to this post. I drilled the two holes in the four inch piece of aluminum to line up with the two light holes closest to each other. When everything is tightened down the lights are now only 1 3/8 into the camper where as before they were almost 1 3/4 inch. This gives a stronger mount then a piece of plastic laying on the screen also. While you are there might as pull out the wiring for the lights remove the wire nuts, solder the wires, seal with silicon and replace the wire nuts. Note: drilling over head like this use a full face shield to keep stuff out of your eyes

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Scott O

I wonder if the design of the lens or even the light was changed. TMs have had the lights in the vents forever, and to my knowledge they have not rubbed. You might compare your fixtures to previous years. Seems like a lot of work...
Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I agree with Scott. Something isn't right. All TMs have lights in the vent, and this is the first I have heard of this issue. I wonder if the back shell is closing down tightly enough, or if it is floating too high when latched.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I agree with Scott. Something isn't right. All TMs have lights in the vent, and this is the first I have heard of this issue. I wonder if the back shell is closing down tightly enough, or if it is floating too high when latched.

Bill
As for the latching I use a 4 foot ladder and jump off it onto the stirrup to get it to latch. I've been looking at the adjustment threads and may do something there. We got the TM for its concept and from having owned pop-ups, travel trailers and motor homes know there are always little issues. The basic problem with the lights was using a short piece of plastic against the screen for support.

The dealer we bought the TM from was the best ever for going over everything with us. Other dealers in the past it was here the keys have a nice day

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default just an update

Found a question about this mod from a member and thought a picture would help out.
I have also added two other braces out of 1" scrap by 4" long to support the lights better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light_vent_mod.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	5554  

Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Thumbs down Closing Problem

There is no way you should have to use a ladder and jump onto the stirrups to close and secure the top of your TrailManor. I have always found that I've left an obstruction (e.g., a pillow) on top of the bed, when the top is difficult to close. Sounds to me like you need to look for inside-clearance issues, if you can't just step on the stirrups and close the top.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

scrubjaysnest, Sure seems like something is out of adjustment.

I weigh ~168# and i have no problem latching our TM without having to jump from a ladder.

Tim
Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default latching not the problem

Latching the shells was not the problem with the lights in the vents. The problem was the lights were supported by a thin piece of plastic laying on the vent screen. This allowed the lights to hang down below the level of the crank handle for the tv antenna and thus rest on the back shell roof. As for latching the shells that is a matter of technique which took awhile to figure out. So both issues such as they were have been resolved.

Tags
ceiling lights, vent