TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Default Fire Extinguisher

During our last trip as I did my regular inspection, I found that the fire extinguisher had lost it's pressure. Now I can't find a replacement. I checked the box stores, fire equipment dealers, auto parts, and RV dealers, NOTHING. Do I have to have one shipped form the factory? The shipping will be more then the disposable extinguisher. Has anyone found a source other then that? It is a Kidde model "Auto SfX". Nothing else will fit in the spot made for it.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Unangan

Default You're right - shipping would kill you.

I just check a site. Since the F/E is hazzardous, it has to be shipped via ground. This site had the F/E (Kidde model 466310) $19 but shipping was $61!

You can try calling Kidde at 1-800-880-6788 to see if they have a retailer near by.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
PopBeavers

Kidde model 466310 is listed on their web site as being an Automobile Fire Extinguisher.

A search of froogle.google.com shows it as cheap as 14.99, with shipping to my zip code at 11.43,for a total of 26 dollars and change.

Have you tried an auto parts store?
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Freedom

My local Schuck's Auto Parts store has them for 12.99
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Thanks for your help the problem is solved. In looking at the Kidde Auto model fire extinguisher that came with the TM, and failed, I don’t believe it is too suited for a travel trailer. It is only for class B and C fires, and has a long discharge range of 10 to 14 feet for 8 to 10 seconds. That is good for putting out a small engine fire.

I did a little modification to the plastic inset and installed a Kidde model FA 110. It is a little taller, and slightly more in diameter. It also is for class A, B, and C fires. (Class A is wood paper, trash) The discharge range is shorter with more output volume ( 6 to 8 feet for 8 to 12 seconds) that makes it more effective in a TM I think. And a big factor for me is that this model and others that size are readily available in most home centers.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Thanks for the update. I'll make a note of it for the future. Especially the fact that you manage to put a somewhat larger fire extinguisher into the existing holder.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

What did you have to do to modify the holder??
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

First remove the plastic case from the wall. Yes, of course it has the square head screws.
Cut off the part that holds the extinguisher at the top. I used a Dremmel tool, but it can be done with a knife, being careful not to cut open the back of the case. Take the locking strap out of the slots, and also remove the locking strap from the new hanger that comes with the new extinguisher. Feed the new strap in the slots of the TM case where you removed the old one. You may have to notch the corners in the back just a little so that the new one will fit. It should than hold the new extinguisher in place. But to keep it from shifting, it is a good idea to cut the new hanger, and then use two small bolts, and nuts, or pop rivets to fasten it in the place of the one you cut off. I then put the fire extinguisher holder back in with some silicone on the treads of the screws, as they only go it to 1/8 inch wood.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Cool!! Thanks for the info. If and when the time comes, now I know what to do. Fire extinguishers are one of those items, like tire pressure, that I always check b4 we go.

Thanks again!!
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Freedom

I have a friend who is in the business of refilling big fire extinguishers and built in extinguishers. He told me that the one-time-use fire extinguishers usually aren't any good after about five years. The soda used for extinguishing will cake up in the bottom or side and won't come out when you need it. He said to shake the extinguisher occasionally to make sure the stuff is still powder. If you can't feel it moving around in there, it's time for a new one. We tried several of the extinguishers we had in the military trucks at work and even though they showed full pressure, nothing came out but air (nitrogen)! That won't put out a fire! Now if you have one with CO2 you're OK as long as the pressure is there.