TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Fire Extinguisher Check!

I was in my TM today and decided to check to see if the fire extinguisher is still current.

Mine is located inside by the TM door and is a dry powder extinguisher that is made by Kidd. The instructions say to look for the mfg date on the extinguisher and it should be good for 12 years from that mfg date.

My TM is a 2008 and the mfg date on the extinguisher is 2007 so I guess mine should be good for another 7 years. There is no gauge but as long as the little yellow button refuses to push in and stay, it is supposed to be good.

Elsewhere here, a fellow TM'er reported a small fire that he was able to put out before serious damage. Recently, at a campground, I saw an expensive coach that was a burned out shell. Campground staff said fire started behind refrigerator and that everyone got out alive but with nothing except the toad.

I also travel with an extra ABC extinguisher - just in case. Be safe.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

It is also important to take the fire extinguisher out and hit the bottom several times. The dry chemical has a tendency to get packed at the bottom from bouncing down the road. I take a rubber mallet and give mine 5 to 10 whacks every spring to keep things suspended as they should be.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I don't know about the mallet, should work but we were told to just turn it upside down and shake it once a year.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
we were told to just turn it upside down and shake it once a year.
I've read the same thing, except the instructions said "Turn it upside down, and shake it until you can feel the load of powder sloshing around inside. Then shake it for a minute more to break up any lumps." Seems reasonable to me.

I've also read that all you have to do is put it back into its hanger upside down. Leave it for 6 months, then turn it right side up again, then repeat next year. Doesn't sound quite so reasonable to me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
rumbleweed

The hanger on the inexpensive extinguishers is designed to support the weight hanging down from it not above it. In addition, on newer TM's the extinguished is in a recessed area and will not fit upside down.