TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

When moderators screen, delete, and lock out users, that is NOT censorship - it is managing this forum to keep it on topic. Put another way, if someone spray painted a message (tagged) your TrailManor, would you agree with them that they were just exercising their right to free speech and forego calling the police and prosecuting them!? Of course not!

"Off Topic, Anything Goes" is just another way of sanctioning unmoderated garbage on a moderated forum. I've left other camping forums, because they allowed obscenity, profanity, spam, etc. - in the name of "free speech."

Thank you, again, moderators, for the hard work and hard decisions you make each day to keep this forum on topic and family-oriented! And, thank you, Chris, for providing this moderated forum for TrailManor owners and their families.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
PopBeavers

Please don't confuse moderating with censorship.

At one time "The Wizard of Oz" was banned because it was poorly written.

Moderating keeps things within documented guidelines.

Censorship keeps things within whatever the censor wants. Each censor makes up their own rules as they see fit and it changes by the second.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Please don't confuse moderating with censorship.

At one time "The Wizard of Oz" was banned because it was poorly written.

Moderating keeps things within documented guidelines.

Censorship keeps things within whatever the censor wants. Each censor makes up their own rules as they see fit and it changes by the second.
I agree, the point that I was making is that Moderation without training can (and does) lead to censorship (in some cases). Just giving someone the power to BE a moderator, doesn't make them a good one.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
UpAndDown

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
I joined this forum and have continued to use it, because it is TrailManor-specific. By that, I mean that the forum content has been FOR TrailManor owners, FROM TrailManor owners, and ABOUT TrailManor issues. I believe that is also why prospective buyers come to this forum - it is TrailManor-specific.

IMHO, "diversity" (whatever that means) and "inclusiveness" (ditto) and "political correctness" (ditto), etc. can - and should be - found elsewhere. VOTING to permit ANY off-topic discussion is foolishness. Thank you, moderators, for keeping us and the forum ON TOPIC. Don't quit, now; if you do, so will I (but I hope that's not necessary).
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5637
Promoting this campground is is no way Trailmanor specific, it relates to your specific experience at a campground (which I don't in any way mind, but in your logic is silly nonsense that doesn't belong on this forum)
Reviewing a campground ,Sharing info on electronic devices, asking why your brake controller isn't working is all non tm related, but to say you'd leave a forum because it had an off topic section is just silly, silly, silly!!! every forum I belong to has an off topic forum, they in fact take useless posts (well, useless to some) out of the General discussion area and puts them in a off-topic place. It also gives the Mods a place to move posts that don't belong in a specific place with out having to delete say, a request for info on some camping related device. Lastly a Off topic discussion board can really do wonders for a discussion board in strengthening individual characters and friendship's / networking.... How else could 2 TM owners really get to know each other if all they are allowed to discuss is the TM. It's not like anyone would be forced to go to and off topic section, but would be there for those who wanted it, and who knows it may even attract new member or keep old ones coming back???? Black and White people used to be segregated, now look at us all surviving together
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
Bill & Lisa

Wow, looks like I have missed a lot since I last logged on on 2-17.......

Everyone makes some good points and here is my 2 cents worth.

ANY topic that has the ability to polarize the populace has a very good chance of leading to hurt feelings and a degredation of the quality of the conversation. In my opinion - religion, politics, Nascar, Football, Basketball etc are such topics.

While many people in a campground may spend time on Saturday watching a NASCAR race that doesn't neccessarily make it a good topic for a thread. Opinions on drivers, quaterbacks, teams, etc all run strong and the conversations don't stay civil for long.

It is tough to know where to draw the line. You want people to know more about each other but not provide a forum for arguing viewpoints on things really not TM related. We have enough heated discussions concerning Tow Ratings and use of Weight Distributing Hitches without discussing who is going to stomp who in the BCS bowl.

The trick is allowing people to be individuals without letting things go to far. For the record, I have nothing against MGoBlue's moniker or picture. Okay, I know he is a Michigan Football supporter. Great. No problem there in my book, but I would object to a thread bashing Ohio State or Michigan State before an upcoming Game (even if he were going to watch it in his TM!)

Horseshoes, monkey toss, geocaching, kayaking, fishing, biking, RC aircraft, traveling in your TM to a dog show or karate tournament are all okay to mention in my book. GPS to help get to a campground, fine too. I definately sought opinions of what I considered knowledgable people before I laid out the kind of money some of these systems asked for.

Thank God TMs are so light weight that we don't have to deal with discussions on this thread over which 3/4 ton pickup is the best and why. It can be done but it takes careful moderation to keep the tone and focus helpful and not competetive.

Chris has the ultimate control on the content in this forum and he relys on the moderators to help. Moderators are people too and sometimes they are not always at their best when they log on to catch up on the forum. Any questionable topics could always be checked with Chris privately and then acted upon. 99 times out of 100 our moderators here are spot on. They shouldn't be looked upon too harshly for the 1% of the time something gets misunderstood or they make a bad call. A 99 still qualifies as an "A" where I went to school.

JMHO.