TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
arjackson

Default Security issues

I know the question of the likelihood that a Trailmanor could be stolen was addressed elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find anything about it being broken into. From watching the setup video, it looks like there is nothing to lock the slideouts in place. Supports, yes, but no exclusion locks. Couldn't someone come along and push in the bed, and then crawl in and access all your stuff? Wouldn't even have to bother with breaking in the door or a window. This is a concern for us because we generally have a lot of optics when we travel.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
rjsmalley

arjackson.
All the slide outs (beds, dinette or living areas) have exclusive methods of locking. They all use a pin & socket type arrangement that can not be accessed in any way from the exterior of the unit.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
arjackson

Oh good, thank you. The dealer at RV Brokers wasn't able to walk us through an entire setup and take down, so we only had the video to go by. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I was also concerned with security before purchasing but so far I have found I can even leave stuff outside the trailer & no one takes it. I assume it is because in a camp ground you really never know if someone is watching you which keeps even the less than honest more honest.

As for security if someone wants in a trailer or any thing for that matter they will get in. I was just curious & taught my self how to pick locks it was scary how easy it was to learn. Trailmanor has done a decent job with locks but there is a weakness in where the shells come together as others have talked about. But on the other hand you are going to be noticed by other campers if you are trying to get in this way.

Also I have seen keyed locks that could be used on the slide outs which would at least slow some one down a little more than just a latch.

I also have good insurance & try to remember not to take anything with us that can't be replaced just in-case.

I am usually overkill on security & had plans on adapting a automotive paging alarm system but since camping a couple of times I decided not to.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
camp2canoe

arjackson, I found exactly how hard it is to break into a 2619 when I managed to lock my keys in the TM at a rural Wisconsin state park! -camp2canoe
Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I spent 50 years tent camping. The TM seems to be more secure than any tent I have ever owned.

The only valuable thing that I take with me with the TM that I did not take tent camping is the generator. Everything else is the same.

Unless they steal the TM.

Do be aware that all TMs are keyed the same. So if you lose your keys, look for another TM, though it seems to be rare to find another TM in the same campground.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
camp2canoe

Pop - the keyed alike feature is a valuable tip! - camp2canoe
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Scott O

Also be aware that the outside compartments on many RVs share the same "locks" and keys. Our son has a large 5th wheel, our daughter a popup and now a toy hauler, and another daughter a standard trailer...all have the same outside locks and keys as our TM!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
mtnguy

When shopping for another travel trailer over the last year or so, a couple of times I would volunteer my TM storage key when the salesman didn't have his keys on hand.....and it always worked.

Chap
Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Scott points out, it is well known that the storage compartments of many RVs have the same key - or at least that there is only a small family of keys. Wayne, have you confirmed that the same is true of the entry door knob locks and dead bolts? I was not aware of that.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote