TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
moneeleann

Default Need to replace the roof vents... Brand?

I am wanting to replace the vents on my TM. I have looked at a couple of different brands, but not finding one that fits. Of course, the 14 inch square hole isn't the problem, it's the thickness of the roof.

Now that I've ordered two different types that said they would fit and they didn't.... anyone able to tell me exactly what brand these vents are so I can order them (should have asked here first...). Or do I need to order these from the factory?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Just about any vent should fit your needs, but you need a riser above the roof to fit the thickness of the vent bottom fit. The TM factory can send you the risers, they are made out of synthetic wood and they aren't very expensive. You will need a lot of caulk. I replaced one of my vents and used the factory ordered riser. I have another riser that I ordered at the same time and another regular vent that we just bought from Camping World (the other one was the one with a fan) and I'm sure that they will work just fine. It's another one of my projects to do, but we have a cover on the TM and I just have'n't gotten around to it. It took a lot of scraping to get the old riser off, and it was a real mess, the original riser was metal wrapped wood and totally rusted out.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
moneeleann

See, my intentions were to leave the riser alone that is already on there, and just replace the vent. But total thickness with the ceiling and the riser is only about 2 inches, maybe a bit less. The vent I bought from camping world, an EZ mount vent, is designed for a roof thickness closer to three or four inches.... Aside from trying to cut the plastic, which I don't want to do, I couldn't see any way to make it fit...

I chose that vent, because it didn't drill through the roof, just clamped in, rather like the vents that are already there. That's what I want as a replacement, something that clamps in, then the garnish piece screws in....

Anyone else know of the brand? I suppose I could order additional risers, but I really just want the exact replacement, as the riser has just last week been completely recaulked while fixing my ceiling leak...
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann View Post
.... anyone able to tell me exactly what brand these vents are so I can order them (should have asked here first...). Or do I need to order these from the factory?
My ceiling, unpowered vent is a VentLine. Not sure if that particular model is still made. The new ones have a different style hinge and do not look like the "clamp in" type. Your best bet may be a call to VentLine regarding the availability of the "clamp in" model. All the new VentLine vents look like they use screws on the exterior frame.

I did find a replacement vent cover for the old style vents, and more:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Encl...-Ventline.aspx

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
JWSwift

Default Powered roof vent

I have a 2006 2720SL with the roof vent closest to the door having an integrated large circular fan inside of it (the cover is also a dark brown while the other two vent covers are translucent white).

The point at which the arm that raises the vent cover connects to the cover has cracked and broken. It looks like I could potentially replace just the cover alone, since it appears that the cover attaches to the top half of the hinge simply with a few screws, but not sure of the details of the type/manufacturer/model of that vent in order to look for a potential replacement cover.

Anyone have the details already? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I think it's called Fan-tastic fan. www.fantasticvent.com

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Fantastic Fan warranties the vent cover for life. Contact the company and they will ship you a replacement at no charge. I had to replace mine in 2008, it broke in the same place as yours JWSwift. The company mailed the replacement within 5 days, to where we were staying in Bisbee, AZ.

Here is a link to the contact information:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/contact_us/contact_us.html

You can find the model number on the fan body. It will be easier to see with the screen removed or by lifting the vent and peering in from the roof. My contact person at Fantastic Fan was Shelley Dunbar.

Let us know how you make out.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
JWSwift

Default Powered roof vent

Yes, after I had already posted my message, I did find other messages that indicated that TM has used vents from Fantastic Fan for the powered vents, and I could find sources for replacement vent covers online, but they were usually for specific models, and I didn't know where to find what model was used in my 2006 2720SL. I will try to find out from looking inside the vent as you've described. Nice to know about the warranty, should save me a few bucks to try and get it replaced that way instead of ordering one from an online dealer. Really appreciate that heads-up!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
92cabby

Last winter I was shoveling deep snow off the top of my 2720 and couldn't make out the location of the vents, and put a hole in one of the vent covers. Grrrrr. I'm not going to let that happen again, also the plastic risers needed recaulking. So, I purchased and installed two Maxxair vent covers, http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html and completely sealed both the plastic risers and the Maxxair vent covers with Eternabond tape. I think it worked out pretty good, and no more caulking the risers. My TM is 2003 and the Maxxair vent covers set on top of the risers. I drilled a few extra holes in the lip of the Maxxair vent cover and used stainless steel screws. Now when I leave the campground I can leave the vents open and not worry about rain, and I no longer worry about shoveling snow off the roof.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92cabby View Post
.....and completely sealed both the plastic risers and the Maxxair vent covers with Eternabond tape.....
Note that Maxxair recommends that the slight gap at the bottom of the vent be left open to allow condensate to drain. Check your installation instructions.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote