TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
grakin

I've camped in everything from KOAs to truck stop parking lots to forest roads that have two or three letters after the number (in other words VERY remote).

I'm probably safer in a campground in my camper than in a lot of other places. As for a populated campground, it's unlikely someone will try to physically attack you - too easy to get caught or worse from the bad guy's perspective. And my camper is at least as hard to break into as my home - the difference is that at a populated campground, my neighbor is 10 feet away, not 50 or 100 feet away, so it's a lot more risky to the bad guy.

As for property crime, theft is probably a lot more common. I try not to tempt fate too much and generally don't display things that others might find worth stealing. Don't leave your beer in your cooler - that's the only crime I've ever experienced (probably kids that thought they hit the jackpot - beer that tastes like beer instead of that stuff they usually drink!).

I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. But if it helps you to sleep at night and it's legal wherever you are camping, get trained (if you aren't already) and carry an appropriate defensive tool.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grakin View Post
But if it helps you to sleep at night and it's legal wherever you are camping, get trained (if you aren't already) and carry an appropriate defensive tool.
I never think about this. I have never been trained on a hand gun, but as a minor, many years ago, I had to take a hunter safety course before I could get my hunting license.

With a Winchester 30/30 I used to be able to hit a large paper plate at 50 yards with open sights (no scope).

Does that count as training for a rifle?

A 30/30 is a pretty good brush rifle. It is short enough and light enough to swing it around pretty easily. Not as easy as a hand gun, but still I would prefer a 30/30 with open sights over a 30 ought 6 with scope (my dad's weapon of choice).

I have not fired a rifle, excluding BB guns, since 1975.

Never pull out a rifle or hand gun unless you intend to use it.

Never pull the trigger unless you intend to kill.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #33
klv5920

I'm sticking with the Bear spray! And the bee spray!

Karen
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #34
clown9644

Having a gun is a very serious decision.

I would NEVER suggest anyone carry any form of gun, rifle,pistol etc. without proper training!! Some kick, some don't. You need a pro to show you everything about the weapon and you need to practice. I fire at least a box of ammo a quarter just so the feel is there.
I agree, never pull any form of weapon unless you are willing to use it, to the ultimate. You pull it out and are afraid to pull the trigger you could end up looking down the barrel of your own weapon.

Another aspect of the safety is where do you store it when you are out of the camper and not carrying. Personally, I have a small safe hidden in my camper and it is locked in there. There are places you CANNOT carry such as Canada.

By the way- a 20 gauge shotgun is a very nice home protection gun. Big enough to scare the heck out of the bad guy, small enough anyone can shoot it. A wee bit hard to conceal carry though.

Serious thought before action please!
Dave
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
PopBeavers

When I was in the Boy Scout Explorers, the adviser had a shot gun, sawed off to a length 1/4 inch longer than allowed by California law. As I recall that was 18 1/4 inches. I do not recall the gauge. It was not the small diameter shells, so I am guessing it was 20 and not 14.

We referred to it as the flaming dragon. At night it threw a flash of light out past the end of the barrel a few inches. Very intimidating to see.

Each year when the new kids arrived we let them have a turn first. Most had never fired a weapon before. They fired from a standing position. We always had someone standing behind them to catch them. Some fell over backwards, because we had not yet taught them to lean forward.

We fired home loads. The wad pressure was not consistent, so some shells had a little more kick than others.

As I recall, when traveling through a game refuge (at least in California) or through a National Park, you can not have a weapon in firing condition. You are required to partially disassemble the weapon. Don't quote me on that one.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Our office staff received training on how to use pepper spray by a Salinas, CA police officer, and he told us that it doesn't work on raccoons. He's a pretty smart guy, so I believe him. Raccoons can be pretty cute, especially the babies, but they can also be really mean and nasty. We have a lot of them around our house.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #37
Redhawk

I think one of the best "protection" firearms is "The Judge" . A pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells and .44 cal bullets. Or is it .45 ?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #38
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I think one of the best "protection" firearms is "The Judge" . A pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells and .44 cal bullets. Or is it .45 ?
A fried of mine loads his handgun with snake shot in the first round and bullets thereafter. I never understood his logic.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #39
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
A fried of mine loads his handgun with snake shot in the first round and bullets thereafter. I never understood his logic.
That way, the first round serves as a warning that he means business, but is non-lethal. If that doesn't work, the second and subsequent rounds will be substantially more effective.

Some folks load self-defense shotguns this way: bird shot with the first round, and big ball bearing size loads in subsequent rounds.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
T and C
TrailManor Master

Folks,

One thing to remember about pepper/bear/wasp sprays is that they fill the air with tiny droplets of toxic/irritating liquids. They spread rapidly due to pressure and heat variations. If you were to spray someone in the door or interior of your trailer, it would only be a few seconds before some of the droplets reach where you are. On pepper spray packages the advice is to spray then leave the area immediately.

I once tested a pepper spray, then removed a little piece of fuzz from the nozzle. A little while later I unthinkingly rubbed my eye.

OUCH!!!!!!

Another thing to remember is that some people are able to resist regular police level pepper spray due to drugs or whatever. I once saw a youtube video where they were pepper spraying female marine trainees in the face with pepper spray, and then making them fight another girl with pungee sticks. Think a 5 foot pole with big firm pads on both ends for hitting you in the head. The point is that these girls were able to do it!

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote