TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Trotters&me

Thank you all so much for the info! Very helpful and some of it also entertaining! For those who wondered, I mostly feel a need to be secure from humans with less-than-honorable intentions. The rest of the animal kingdom doesn't worry me nearly as much!

And I agree that most in campgrounds tend to be the nice sort. I'm just not sure that I'll always be in that environment.

Lisa
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotters&me View Post
Thank you all so much for the info! Very helpful and some of it also entertaining! For those who wondered, I mostly feel a need to be secure from humans with less-than-honorable intentions. The rest of the animal kingdom doesn't worry me nearly as much!

And I agree that most in campgrounds tend to be the nice sort. I'm just not sure that I'll always be in that environment.

Lisa
Biggest thing you have to remember is security only deters dumb or honest criminals not determined ones

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Scottie Dogs

Hi,

Here are a couple of thing that may help. I have two Scotties Dogs that think they are German Shepard's, any thing that is not normal at night in the camper/at home, they start barking like crazy.

If you don't have dogs and you are a woman that is camping alone you can hang a picture of a dog on the outside of your front stone shield (like I have on my TM) and get a BIG dog bowl and leave it outside, (no water in it) that might attract other animals. Also get a size 13 men's boots (used and beat up) from family or some second hand store and leave them by the steps coming into the TM.

If I was a bad guy I would get the heck out of your area.

Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Ive decided after purchasing our new Surveillance Camera System for our house & having experience with our vehicles also I will be adding a Surveillance Camera system to our TM now also. I already have most of what is needed so it wont be that big of a deal.

This wont do much for you while sleeping but it will help with knowing what is happening while you aren't there.

2008 3023

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Scott O

I was an ignorant toad and locked my only set of keys inside the TM. After prowling around for awhile trying to gain entrance, I finally had to slice the screen on an open window. Dang. But someone can get into my house with just about the same amount of effort. Double dang.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I was an ignorant toad and locked my only set of keys inside the TM. After prowling around for awhile trying to gain entrance, I finally had to slice the screen on an open window. Dang. But someone can get into my house with just about the same amount of effort. Double dang.
Sorry you had to do that, I know I could have told you a way to gain entry without cutting a screen.

I have had to help neighbor break-in their house a few times over the years. It really isn't that hard to break-in most structures if you just think it out. Most locks are very easy to beat unfortunately.

2008 3023

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Trotters&me

These are all good points, lol! I love the idea of the size 13 shoes! My Trotters is a very fierce 12-pound Jack Russell - courage only takes you so far!

But I must admit that it only takes me about 90 seconds to break into my sticks-and-bricks home when I lock myself out, so very good point.

Lisa
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Redhawk

There seems to be an elephant in the room....why has no one mentioned a firearm, taser, or other self protection device? As others have mentioned, anyone would have to make a lot of noise trying to enter the TM, a nice loud statement saying "I'm armed and you are scaring me" would be a HUGE deterent to me.

I've encountered some mighty shady people when boondocking in warmer climates, I'm glad I was armed. And glader that I did not have to consider using or drawing it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
Sorry you had to do that, I know I could have told you a way to gain entry without cutting a screen.

I have had to help neighbor break-in their house a few times over the years. It really isn't that hard to break-in most structures if you just think it out. Most locks are very easy to beat unfortunately.
Where were you when I needed you Billy!!! I am quite sure I could have found another way in, but it probably would have involved more destruction. The screen was easiest to fix. Luckly the keys were on the flap next to the door, so a small slice in the screen allowed me to reach in and get the keys. I suspect I just as easily could have reached the door knob...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Where were you when I needed you Billy!!! I am quite sure I could have found another way in, but it probably would have involved more destruction. The screen was easiest to fix. Luckly the keys were on the flap next to the door, so a small slice in the screen allowed me to reach in and get the keys. I suspect I just as easily could have reached the door knob...
You would have had no damage trust me.... If I was dishonest I would be a good thief.

2008 3023