TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
sir1doc

Default can't plan for everything

Well, we finished our first longish trip for us in our new to us 1991 TM this weekend. we left the Cleveland OH area and headed for just south of Indianapolis IN for 5 days for camping and horseback riding. My DW calls me obsessed with camping details b/c I am always on here reading all I can to have a good plan and be ready for anything. Well we made the 360mi one way trip with no problems and I am HAPPY to report the the TV did GREAT! I have towed lots of different combos of trucks, suvs, and trailers and was more than satisfied with the minivan and TM combo. (although I was on nearly flat ground the whole time and wouldn't try mountains) I kept it at about 60-65 most times, hit 70 once or twice when needed and managed to average 18.1 mi/gal which I thought was great.(even used the ac the whole time) We spent the first night in the inlaws driveway and left for horse camp following their rig the next morning. We made it a whole 4 mi. when I heard what sounded like a chain dragging. I stopped roadside and found that the streetside leaf spring had broken. What to do? luckily there were 3 other horse trailers in our little convoy so we were able to jack it up, block the body off of the wheel and limp back to the inlaws where between all of the tools and guys in the other rigs we were able go to the local tractor shop buy new springs ($25 ea) for both sides (not taking any chances) and in less than 2hrs we were back on the road. The DW took it all well (she's not big into camping) and laughed saying see all of the planning I do couldn't get me ready for this. I sure was lucky to have it happen where there were so many people to help, and a store close by that had replacements. It could have happened the night before at midnight on the turnpike in a thunderstorm. so the moral is, look at the springs. when mine broke, we were able to tell after they were off, that 2 of the leafs had been broken for quite a while but had not gone all the way through yet.
All in all it was a great trip and the TM gets an atta-boy even though we had what could have been a real big problem it worked great and the DW has a good start to her camping journal...haha
Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
EMPTYNESTERS

Glad to hear you had a safe trip...even with the springs incident! Where about in the Cleveland area are you? We're in Strongsville...and we headed east over the Memorial Day weekend...to Punderson State Park. This was only our 2nd trip out...so we're still getting acquainted with our TM! Tried out the shower (I was willing to use the shower house, but my DH thought we should at least try it out)...and will definitely be making the modifications as shared on this forum...however...now I'm no longer willing to use the shower house!!! I loved having my own shower and bathroom!! Hope to see you in a campground somewhere this summer!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
sir1doc

We're in Elyria
I have to say that the best shower mod from here I've tried so far was to get a shower curtain and use table cloth clips to hold it to the bathroom walls and then use a expandable rod with a real shower curtain on it. (bravo to whoever thought that one up) That way you can put it further into the bathroom while showering for more room in the tub. I am a big guy and while it was tight, it was better than any shower house I'd been in. Plus it was soo hot last weekend that we took 2 showers a day. Where we were in Indy it hit 97 Sunday. pheew it was hot and humid.
we tend to hit the yogi's in Aurora and Mansfield with the kids so maybe we'll see ya out there. good luck with your mods.