TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Larry_Loo

Exclamation Taming the Wild Decorative Molding

The white plastic molding that's inserted in the channels framing the exterior cabinets' doors and the sides of my TM always seems to be popping out. This is especially true where the molding is forced to bend around a radiused corner. Pushing the molding back into the channel only works temporarily as it will pop out again after an hour or two. The first photo shows how my moldings used to appear.

I considered fabricating some spring clips to hold the molding in, but, discarded this idea because it seemed too labor intensive. Finally, I came up with the idea of "caulking" the molding in a fashion similar to how I used to caulk my boat when I was younger. This method requires a small amount of 1/16" diameter string, scissors and a small screwdriver- second photo. I used Nylon string but cotton string may suffice just as well. Where the molding tends to pop out, such as at the corners of frames, I pushed in short lengths of the string (about 3" to 4"). Although I wetted the string with white glue - to stiffen the string and keep it from unraveling after the glue dried - the use of glue may not be necessary. The third photo shows the process of "caulking" a corner. Pushing string into just the inside corner may suffice, but, I put string into both inside and outside corners to wedge the molding in tighter.

Finally, after a little clean up with a damp cloth, the molding is stuck in its channel. See the final photo. I've only tested this for a few days so this repair method doesn't come with much of a guarantee. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DecorativeMolding1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DecorativeMolding2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DecorativeMolding3.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DecorativeMolding5.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	491  
Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
BrigCA61

Thank you for posting this Larry! The same thing has happened to our molding and we have a brand new TM. We are going to take it back in to have the work done under the warranty and will post the outcome here. If they don't fix it to our satisfaction, then we'll use your tip.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well that is just plain clever, Larry! It will help a lot of us. Thanks!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Molding problem

Larry,

Thanks for the clever idea. I too have the same problem only with the molding on one of the front storage doors on our 3326 King. The other one seems to be just fine.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Harry Womack

Default Rubber moulding around outside storage

My moulding was coming off around the corners. I purchased some white Camco 3/4" x 25' roll of moulding. It measured 7/8" wide. It fits in the groove tight and does not come out in the corners. I think the package was mis-marked 3/4". It is 1/8" wider than the original moulding. I am trying to find out if there is a 7/8" width available from Camco. It has not been cut down from 1" moulding because it has the two beveled edges on the sides. I have talked to Camco and they do not know how I got 7/8" wide moulding. They buy this in bulk and re-package it. Maybe they received the wrong size and did not notice and sold it as 3/4". The 7/8" works great. Maybe if you are at a RV parts store, check the moulding they carry in stock.
Harry
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Is it this?http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...ProductId=2213
Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Way to go Larry! I'll get right on mine as soon as I quit being lazy.
R_W

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote