TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
bigjoe

Default Long distance travel

For those of you that travel long distance- how far do you drive and do you stay overnight at a local RV park?

Do you unhook?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
For those of you that travel long distance- how far do you drive and do you stay overnight at a local RV park?

Do you unhook?

Thanks!
A good rule of thumb for us is about 400 miles a day. We usually have limited time so we want to get there and see what there is to see. That's why we try to go at least 400 miles a day. Any more than that and you start to burn out.
Yes we always stay at a local campground, one that we looked up on www.RVParking.com the night before. Almost every privately owned campground has WiFi, and with a tablet or laptop or even a smart phone you can surf the web and connect to RVParking.com to make resevations for your next stop.
We only unhook when we get to our main destinations where we are planning to stay more than one night. So when we book a reservation we try to get a "pull thru" parking spot. Even by not unhooking one still has to connect all you utilities up for the night(s).
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

400 to 500 miles, depends on destination,Flordia was 1050 miles so took two days but 600 or 700 would still due two days. When I was younger we went further, now it is time to stop and smell the roses😀😀😀

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

500 miles or less. Truck stop for just overnight or a visitor center even rest area

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Odd man out; we do between 150 to 200 miles between CG's. Rarely stop at RV parks. In about 20 k miles last year we stopped at one, that was because we thought it might be to hot for dry camping. For us it's about the journey.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

We tend to go about 250-300 miles and use mostly Texas state parks. If we are only spending one night we don't unhook and just use the water and electric . We are both retired now so time is on our side. As we get older we love to take our time!
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Jampcourt

We too are retired, and as long as we remain relatively healthy, we have time on our side! We try to limit our daily driving to no more than 300 miles whenever possible....and are happier with less. We also avoid interstates like the plague, and keep to US and state highways whenever possible. Yes, it can be much slower, but is usually much prettier and the driving is mellower.

Question, in light of the recommendation that the TM be totally level before opening, how do you get it properly stabilized without unhitching? Not talking about a Walmart stop, but we find that even the paved pads are not always very level. Being under the impression that the torsion bars can get out of adjustment pretty easily, we've always unhitched and stabilized before we try to open.

Of course, we do have more time to set up when we don't go as far in the first place! We are also finding that this totally bizarre weather has kept us closer to home lately, and our plans to go towards the east coast are on hold. (Partly due to weather concerns, and partly because a new grandkid is on the way in July). Still plenty to see in the west for now, thankfully!
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Short answer is that you should know how for you can drive safely and stay below that limit always. For me, that's about 12 hours, if I'm not driving the next day. If I am, then I keep it less than eight hours. If my wife trades off with me we can go sixteen hours, assuming the next day we don't drive, or about 12 if we don't.

Gotta take breaks every hour or so, so we wind up driving about 50 minutes out of every hour. Assuming a cruise speed of 55 mph this gives a distance of 400-700 miles depending on how we plan.

When I was younger (20-ish) I'd drive all day. I got smarter and safer.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
Question, in light of the recommendation that the TM be totally level before opening, how do you get it properly stabilized without unhitching? Not talking about a Walmart stop, but we find that even the paved pads are not always very level. Being under the impression that the torsion bars can get out of adjustment pretty easily, we've always unhitched and stabilized before we try to open.
You may be getting carried away with this whole idea of exact levelling. Many years ago, an absorption refrig (which is what is in the TM) had to be pretty close to level in order to work properly. Today the requirement is much looser, but old memories refuse to die. You should read the current requirement in the manual that came with your refrig (download it from the web if you don't have a paper copy). It basically says that if you are comfortable, then the refrig is just fine. I can tell you that in a couple desperate situations, we have spent a night when the trailer was far enough off-level that we were very uncomfortable and had to hang onto the counters as we walked around. But the refrigerator perked along nicely (although the contents tended to spill out when we opened the door!)

There is also no particular need to stabilize the trailer if you don't mind a little motion as you walk around. When we are on a long trip and trying to cover ground, we seldom unhitch, and never stabilize. If you leave the TM hitched to the tow vehicle, this reduces fore-and-aft motion to almost zero, though the trailer will still bounce a bit as you walk around. Only you can judge how objectionable this is - we don't find it to be.

I'm not sure how the torsion bars would enter into the issue. Ours have never gotten out of adjustment, and certainly wouldn't do so from lack of leveling or stabilizing.

So my advice is to relax, do as much as you need to in order to make yourselves comfortable, and call it good. If you are going to stay in one place for a while, you may want to level and stabilize fairly accurately. But if you are planning an in-and-out stay, make it easy on yourself.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
davlin
TrailManor Master

We're leaving next week for Davis Mountains State Park, which is 454 miles away. It's farther than we'd like for a day, but too short to make into two days.
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote