TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #61
curlyontop

Brulaz, Check your private message box!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #62
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

After owing 3 regular TrailManors since 1992, it's difficult for me to believe that 2 customers are getting such a run around by TrailManor. Anytime that I needed something, ED or Jimmy Davis(before Ed) always took care of my request in a very timely way. When we ordered our new units, Keith Hulsey always tried to honor our request for whatever change we wanted to the unit. They always tried to please their customer.

Maybe, I read all of the posts too quickly, but I don't hear very much involvement by the dealer or dealers where the Elkmonts were purchased. When ever I buy a big ticket item, my first stop is at the dealer level. If I don't get any satisfaction, then I look to the manufacturer. I guess from the posts, both unhappy owners went directly to TrailManor. If I am wrong, I would appreciate a reply to my unanswered question.

We plan on buying a new larger Elkmont model as soon as they are built in the Spring. From looking at the Elkmonts at the dealer and also at the Hershey RV show, we were very impressed with the quality of the unit. I checked out everything very carefully, and I thought they did a good job at the manufacturer's level.

Hoping to see a post regarding my question since we will be spending a large sum of money on a new Elkmont.

Maybe, other Elkmont owners out there will let us know about their purchases. I sure hope so!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #63
curlyontop

We did start at the dealership. They took somewhat small problems and made them BIG problems. If anyone would like to discuss things with me further, PLEASE send me a personal e-mail. I think I can be helpful in giving you a hint of things to check that you may not even think of. I honestly want to help. You folks seem to really LOVE your TrailManors....#1 reason we bought our Elkmont!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #64
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
After owing 3 regular TrailManors since 1992, it's difficult for me to believe that 2 customers are getting such a run around by TrailManor. Anytime that I needed something, ED or Jimmy Davis(before Ed) always took care of my request in a very timely way. When we ordered our new units, Keith Hulsey always tried to honor our request for whatever change we wanted to the unit. They always tried to please their customer.

Maybe, I read all of the posts too quickly, but I don't hear very much involvement by the dealer or dealers where the Elkmonts were purchased. When ever I buy a big ticket item, my first stop is at the dealer level. If I don't get any satisfaction, then I look to the manufacturer. I guess from the posts, both unhappy owners went directly to TrailManor. If I am wrong, I would appreciate a reply to my unanswered question.

We plan on buying a new larger Elkmont model as soon as they are built in the Spring. From looking at the Elkmonts at the dealer and also at the Hershey RV show, we were very impressed with the quality of the unit. I checked out everything very carefully, and I thought they did a good job at the manufacturer's level.

Hoping to see a post regarding my question since we will be spending a large sum of money on a new Elkmont.

Maybe, other Elkmont owners out there will let us know about their purchases. I sure hope so!!!!
When I found out about some of my problems, (they did not appear evident at once) I immediately contacted the dealer. Here is the email I got back:

----- Original Message -----
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 13:02 PM
Subject: Re: VIN

We are very sorry for the oversight on the furnace duct work and we appreciate that you brought this information to our attention. Obviously, our delivery technician should have caught this problem on his final check-out. We have just begun to carry brand-new trailers (all of our previous experience has been with pre-owned), and this was definitely a learning experience for us. We are again sorry that it came at your expense, and we are taking steps to make sure that it does not happen again. You are correct at feeling that we did a poor job of prepping the unit, as did TrailManor at the factory. Our previous experiences with the TrailManor units, however, have been very positive.

The difference in the GVWR and the dry weight is as follows:

2498 approx dry weight
1250 approx load capacity
166 (20 X 8.3 lbs) fresh water
168 (40 X 4.2 lbs) propane
320 approx hitch weight

4230 lbs GVWR

Please keep us informed as we will do whatever it takes to get your furnace issue resolved. Keep in mind, also, that TrailManor has the two-year warranty on the unit. We want you to enjoy this trailer for many years to come. Thank you again for your business and for bringing this issue to our attention.

Jim Schultz
Sales/Finance

So I called them and they again told me that TM had a 2 yr warranty. Also we were about 1000 miles away from the dealer. But they have NOT been helpful in any way. With regards to units presented at shows. I am retired and have attended countless trade shows in my time. Not once have I seen a sloppy build machine or tool exhibited at a show. OF COURSE they go over a show unit with not one but several fine-tooth combs to make absolutely sure that there are no flaws. If you are selling your car privately, you wash and detail it to make it look its best, and so do dealers. But reality often times is very different. In my case the dealer told me that we could bring it back and they would fix it. Why they didn't do it right the first time is beyond me. But they insisted that I contact TM since it really was their problem. I did and the rest is history. One posted here made a excellent suggestion: Contact RVIA. And I will do that. Will it do any good? I don't know, but should we end up in court than I can at least tell the judge that I have tried just about everything, and that in it self often seals a case in favor of the complainant. So we will see where it goes.
Thanks to all for their support and advice and suggestions.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #65
brulaz

Sigh.

Texas R.V. Center is where I'll be picking up my Elkmont next week. At least they admit their mistakes. Guess I'll find out next week if they have learned from them.

With your and Curley's help, I'll go over the trailer carefully. But it will be difficult if they haven't checked the trailer over properly and fixed it up. We live a long ways from Texas.

Looking at the pictures again, I think ours has a furnace more like Ken & Geri's. It also does not have the large front outside compartment like the one in the brochure. This model is clearly a "work-in-progress".
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #66
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Sigh.

Texas R.V. Center is where I'll be picking up my Elkmont next week. At least they admit their mistakes. Guess I'll find out next week if they have learned from them.

With your and Curley's help, I'll go over the trailer carefully. But it will be difficult if they haven't checked the trailer over properly and fixed it up. We live a long ways from Texas.

Looking at the pictures again, I think ours has a furnace more like Ken & Geri's. It also does not have the large front outside compartment like the one in the brochure. This model is clearly a "work-in-progress".
I have been following this tread with interest. I have toured the Elkmont at an RV show, and really like the layout. Because of the excellent use we got out of our previous 2720, an Elkmont might be in our future if we decide to downsize from our 29 ft. Surveyor.

That was a very apologetic letter that Texas RV center wrote. Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. If I were an RV dealer, I would expect things to come from the factory correctly installed, and would probably not check the hidden appliances, especially since they have had positive experiences with Trailmanor. This would not be a reason for me to not deal with Texas RV.

I am disappointed with the factory letting these 2 (or more) units slip out of the doors in this condition. On a trip to the factory in Aug. 08, I witnessed a quality control person with a clip board going over each fold down unit as it was sitting outside of the final assembly door. There seems to be a breakdown of quality control here.....both in production and in quality control......that hopefully has been corrected.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #67
brulaz

Just talked to CurlyOnTop and she's given me a list of things to look for. Thanks Curly!

I also called Texas RV and Shaunna Battles tells me that they are going over these trailers carefully and assured me that all systems will be working correctly, and that they will go over each one with us to demonstrate that they work as advertised.

By the way, Shaunna at Texas RV has been great to work with.

So I've got my hopes up.

My main concern now is leakage. How can you inspect for that unless it's pouring rain ... which I guess isn't that common in Texas. My wife suggests that at our first campsite, we get out the hose and soak the thing. We might just do that.

Oh yes, the layout. That's why we bought it, that and the TrailManor reputation <sigh>. Wish us luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #68
curlyontop

Don't mention it!!! Hope you find my input helpful. I have a few more"heads up" to give you. We are celebrating our Grand daughter's 1st birthday tomorrow (her Daddy is in Afganistan). If you want to call on Sunday please feel free to do so!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #69
curlyontop

cochise, Can you post/e-mail info on Suburban heater installation and warnings. I think we have the same situation!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #70
voyager2

Ok, all of the horror stories in this thread have fueled my paranoia to the point of tearing into our cold and dark 09 Elkmont to see what terrors might be lurking inside. Obviously some things have changed from 09 to 2010. In our 09, the battery box is located front streetside under the bed. Our furnace is not only screwed to the floor but is encased in a wooden frame (top and both sides) which is also firmly anchored to the floor. Our limited use of the unit due to health issues late last year revealed no issues or leaks and to date the only problems have been installing the extra frame brace (which may or may not be necessary) and the replacement of the recalled Carrier Air 5 heating unit.

Like everyone else, I am puzzled by TM's apparent lack of concern over this issue. If I were them, I would deliver a brand new unit to your door and cart the old one off to tear apart one piece at a time. I know it's no excuse but perhaps they misjudged demand and slammed units together with untrained help to keep up?

By the way, Thank You to Cochise for the great pictures and info. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words. And our sympathies to you who have had such unpleasant experiences. We will continue to watch to see how this is resolved.