TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Default Poop not flushing down

A small piece of feces is stuck and won't flush down. I've tried using the shower head to wash it down but it won't go. I know I'll have to do the honors manually, but is there a reason why this happens in the first place?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Sometimes they stick. What I have been doing for the last 6 years is giving the toilet a quick flush and then putting a couple of pieces of toilet paper down in the bowl. After doing my business I flush and nothing sticks. It just slides down using the toilet paper. Hopes that helps.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwantau View Post
Sometimes they stick. What I have been doing for the last 6 years is giving the toilet a quick flush and then putting a couple of pieces of toilet paper down in the bowl. After doing my business I flush and nothing sticks. It just slides down using the toilet paper. Hopes that helps.
I do the exact same thing - although I just use the shower head and give a quick spray in the toilet, first, then put two strips of TP down, about 3 squares each, one across the front of the hole, the second on the back side of the hole. I know some would consider it a pain, but it really only takes 30 seconds, and I've never had any problem. I also don't have any real significant problem with smell with my Thetford. I turn the fan on when I first go into the bathroom, turn it off after washing my hands. Never any smell.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Thankyou! I will try the TP trick after I finish my nasty duties. My wife can smell the toilet a little, but it's not too bad. We've got 5 people in the camper, soit is squishy. I had to fix a piece of cardboard to the inside of the roof vent to keep the light out for my wife. Other than that, at least no one has hitchhiked back home yet!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

It is also possible (and easy) to polish the bowl to make the surface slippery. With the passage of time, the surface may have gotten just a bit rough.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=16455
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13022

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

After doing the duty, I now see why some remove that skirt thingy. That was causing things to get stuck. Perhaps the baby oil trick might work on that, but I'm not yet convinced that I want to remove that skirt.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
After doing the duty, I now see why some remove that skirt thingy. That was causing things to get stuck. Perhaps the baby oil trick might work on that, but I'm not yet convinced that I want to remove that skirt.
When I recently removed the toilet to lay the laminate flooring in the bathroom, I pondered removing the skirt. I know some worry about water splashing up into the toilet while traveling if it has been removed, but I never travel without dumping black & gray water. However, that being said, I thought perhaps some sort of rubber or foam ball, to 'plug' the hole while traveling, would work. But, since I've never had any issue with stuff not going down, at least not since I've been doing the spray water/lay TP out trick since forever it seems, I decided I'd just leave the skirt.

As a side note, today I finally poured a couple of gallons of water into the Thetford to ensure there were no leaks since re-installing the toilet after laying the floor. All was fine. I pulled the bottom valve to dump the water, all so I could remove the toilet again, so that I could put down the trim over the laminate in the bathroom. Then I removed the toilet. Stupid me. I hadn't opened the drain outside, and the drain wasn't long enough to hold all the water I just dumped out of the toilet. So, as soon as I popped the two slide things (do those have a name?) holding the toilet down, yup, you guessed it, water poured out. Doh! I get the dummy of the day award today!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Oh my, I think that just might take the cake for grossness! Those of you who have seen that skirt directly, is it something that could easily form wrinkles that would block the flow of solid material? When I could feel it with my hand it felt very stiff. I don't want to remove it just yet because I don't know how much camping we might do away from sanidumps.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Oh my, I think that just might take the cake for grossness!

Ha ha - it was clean water! And, I had completely scrubbed out and disinfected the Thetford when I removed it the first time, and it hadn't been charged, or used, yet. So, it was clean water, and probably cleaner than my kitchen sink half the time, since the Thetford had been disinfected! LOL
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
Ha ha - it was clean water! And, I had completely scrubbed out and disinfected the Thetford when I removed it the first time, and it hadn't been charged, or used, yet. So, it was clean water, and probably cleaner than my kitchen sink half the time, since the Thetford had been disinfected! LOL
It sure made a great story for my family!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD