TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
Shane826
TrailManor Master

But you said it previously drained the hot water tank, right? I’d want to know what changed...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
dennisdjones

I bought a RV blow out plug and used it after draining the water system the way TM suggests. Got a lot more water out of the line using the blow out plug. Not going to rely on draining the water by gravity flow anymore.
dennisdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Make sure if you’re using a compressor with that blow out plug it is an “oil-less” compressor or you’ll never get that oil out of the system...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
ewgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Did you buy your TM new, or from a previous owner? A previous owner might have installed a water heater bypass arrangement. Since a bypass is not needed in a TM, I don't have a plumbing diagram for it. But if it drained last year, you might have had one of the bypass system valves in a different position.

I was unaware that newer TMs have only three drain valves, instead of the four shown here for earlier TMs.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=435
It is not clear to me how one drain valve could handle both sides of the bathroom plumbing.

Bill
We are trial members to the forum and have a 2002 3124 King TM. I have winterized the water lines in the fall because we get very cold weather. I open all of the drain valves and blow out the lines, but then disconnect the hot and cold water lines from the water heater and connect them directly to each other. My problem is--the crowded space under the sink makes this a really difficult job. I would like to install bypass valves, but there is not enough room for the cold water line to have a valve before it goes into the water heater. I see that you say that a bypass is not needed in a TM. Is this true for all TM trailers? To be extra careful, are you aware of a way to install a bypass valve to the cold water inlet side of the water heater? Thanks!
ewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #15
lederhos
Site Sponsor

ewgoodman, welcome to the forum!

Your extra caution to blow out the fresh water lines may be overkill. I have an ‘08 3124KB in Colorado climate and never blow out or add antifreeze to the fresh water lines. I do place about a 1/4C of antifreeze in the sink and tub traps to keep them from cracking. My unit has PEX water lines. The low point drains have worked really well.
Tekonsha Brake Controller
Equalizer WD Hitch/w sway control
lederhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dennis -

The drain valves in your original pix (post #6) don't look like the OEM drain valves. This suggests to me that an earlier owner modified the plumbing, as Shrimp Burrito suggested in post #7. The fourth valve should be forward of the valve in your third pic, a few feet forward of the tire. Given the location of the water tanks and the other plumbing, there is no other location that makes sense. Is there any sign of a patch that might cover a previously-existing hole in the aluminum? The patch might be small (a few inches on a side) if the previous owner decided to remove the valve for some reason. Or it might be quite large if, for example, a previous owner backed over a rock or a root and tore the aluminum skin on the underside. In that case, he might have removed a large section of the skin and replaced it, modifying the plumbing at the same time.

As was suggested, you need to get under the kitchen sink and look at the plumbing, looking especially for a tee that joins two pipes and goes out to that one drain valve. You also need to slide under the TM on your back and look for patches.

Quote:
I tried blowing thru the two rear drain valves with the two kitchen faucets open. They both were able to pass air. I then tried blowing thru them, one at a time, with all faucets closed. In both cases I got a small amount of water passing out of the drain not being blown on. Seems to indicate that there is a small amount of water being trapped in one of the lines even after going thru the draining procedure.
This sounds like water that is still in the shower hoses - the outside shower and the bathroom shower. If the associated valves were not opened (and left open), the water would not drain from these hoses. Instead, it would gradually dribble down into the pipes that feed them. Did you drain those hoses before your test?

You still didn't answer the question about what is different from last year. If it worked last year, but doesn't work this year, what changed?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote