TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
BradS7535

Default Stuck Screws

So I'm in the process of converting the tube lights to LEDs by removing the ballast and installing the strip LEDs on the reflector. I was able to remove the fixtures over the stove, in the bathroom and over the rear bed, however 2 screws in the fixture over the sink are REALLY stuck good
I started to strip one of the heads trying to get it out. I noticed the 2 screws that are stuck are located towards the middle of the fixture instead of on the ends like all the other fixtures. Anyone know why these 2 screws might be stuck and the best way to remove them?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
So I'm in the process of converting the tube lights to LEDs by removing the ballast and installing the strip LEDs on the reflector. I was able to remove the fixtures over the stove, in the bathroom and over the rear bed, however 2 screws in the fixture over the sink are REALLY stuck good
I started to strip one of the heads trying to get it out. I noticed the 2 screws that are stuck are located towards the middle of the fixture instead of on the ends like all the other fixtures. Anyone know why these 2 screws might be stuck and the best way to remove them?
Hi Brad,

Most of the TM screws are square head. are you using a square driver? It is possible to use a larger phillips screw driver, when the screws are new, but if they are hard to remove, the little bits (corners) that are being grasped by the philips blades are probably wearing out...

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
BradS7535

I haven't seen any square heads yet, they all seem to be Phillips head screws. If the Phillips head is starting to wear, what's the best method of removing? Strange that these are the only 2 that are stuck and they are the only ones in a different location in the fixture.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

There should be a small square opening in the center of the screws, but if all boogered up, try using a small pair of vise grips

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Craig points out, Vise-Grips is the easiest and quickest solution. If you get desperate - and I don't think you are there yet - you can buy a set of left-handed drill bits. Chuck one into your drill, set the drill to "reverse", and begin to drill the hole. Quite often, the reverse torque on the screw will break it loose and back it out. If it doesn't, you can also buy screw extractors. These are like tapered left-hand drills. You push one into a pre-drilled hole, and turn it in the backward direction using a wrench. It will feed into the hole until the taper exceeds the hole diameter, then it will jam. Continue to turn it, and it will grip the screw and back it out.

You can get both left hand drills and screw extractors from Harbor Freight for a surprisingly small cost.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
BradS7535

Thanks for all the info guys. I always thought the screw heads looked a little funny for a philips. Took a closerook and sure enough there is a square in the middle! Looked around my tools and found a square bit that fit and with that was able to remove those last 2 screws, they were on nice and tight even using the square bit. Now I can finish converting all the lights inside to LED!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
fourteener

Everyone,
Sometimes it is even easier to grab a dremel chucked with a cut-off wheel, cut a slot in the stripped head, and then simply remove the bad screw with a standard screwdriver. This trick has saved me many headaches and curse words!
Hope this helps at some point....
Mitch
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote