TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
tl3883

Default Side/corner coming apart

I have a 2002 yr 3326 TM. The right corner of the back "upper shell" is coming apart. The back where all of the force of lifting open is separating from the side panel. How do I stop this? How do I fix this? What do I do about this?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the problem. A photo would help. In the meantime, are you referring to the yoke (three-sided metal bracket with a pin across the opening) that engages the hold-down latch when the shells are down? I haven't heard of any problems with this yoke since about 2002, when several of them were reported to be pulling out, and TM came up with a fix for the problem. If the yoke is coming out, there are easy fixes.

Or is something else coming apart?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
tl3883

It is the side wall and the back wall of the upper compartment. They are pulling apart at the corner where they are joined. When I lift the back upper compartment the right corner pulls apart. Does this make sense? I will try to get a picture. It will show up real well, I just don't have a digital camera.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It makes more sense now, but it isn't fun.

By 2002, I think the framing in the upper shells of all models was square aluminum tube, perhaps 3/4" x 3/4", inside the walls. Both the back wall and the side wall should be screwed into this tube along their edges. Since the tube wall was thin, sometimes the sheet metal screws pulled out. You need to find the screw heads (they may be hidden under some trim) and check the screws in this area. Replace if necessary, of course.

One of our mechanically-minded members (Larry Loo? Denny A?) had some comments about this thin-walled tubing a couple years ago. You might review their posts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
tl3883

Thanks Bill. You understand my problem. I will look at replacing some screws.