TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Randoni

Default Pondering purchase of TM

Hello, we have been Rving for about 20 years, currently have a toy hauler we bought new and converted to studio apt type set up. I always wanted a trail manor or hi lo. Have seen a couple of 3124KS to kinda get some inside size relation. Has anyone went from standard type Rving to TM and increased their trips and enjoyment. Our trips usually are 3 months and 8500 miles. I'm trying to improve the total trip including towing these miles. There are only two of us and the tow vehicle is not a consideration. Any advice you have on models to look at, and any experiences you have had changing to TM would be greatly appreciated.
Randoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Randoni

Thanks for the reply the 2720sd looks great, I just have never seen one in person. We were looking at the king to sleep cross ways. But in actuality there probably is no way of getting up in the night without waking each other. I'm thinking the smaller size has its Advantages. one of my favorite trips was across Canada in an old tent trailer, I'm hoping by stepping sideways to this will return some of that fun.
Randoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoni View Post
Hello, we have been Rving for about 20 years, currently have a toy hauler we bought new and converted to studio apt type set up. I always wanted a trail manor or hi lo. Have seen a couple of 3124KS to kinda get some inside size relation. Has anyone went from standard type Rving to TM and increased their trips and enjoyment. Our trips usually are 3 months and 8500 miles. I'm trying to improve the total trip including towing these miles. There are only two of us and the tow vehicle is not a consideration. Any advice you have on models to look at, and any experiences you have had changing to TM would be greatly appreciated.
There are 4 main advantages to move from a regular Travel Trailer (TT) to a TM:
1. Low Profile: A regular TT is like pulling a billboard; the TM has a much lower profile, which saves on gas and reduces sway.
2. Reduced Weight & Length: My 3023 is a 30ft long trailer that folds down to 22' 8", fits in my garage (with swing out hitch) and weighs a little over 3000 lbs - please tell me anywhere on the planet I can get a TT that matches those numbers.
3. Hard sided 3 season capable: With a strong A/C, furnace, and hard sided protection, you are protected from essentially every type of weather short of heavy snow.
4. Camp Anywhere: National park with no hookups? Huge campground with all the amenities? Everything in between? The TM with a battery, recirculating toilet, and water tank enables you to camp ANYWHERE.

The biggest down side to the TM for me is the setup/taking down; that adds about 15-30 minutes to your setup/take down times. For me, that is a small price to pay for the advantages.

One scenario that may make sense is to purchase an older TM with a lower entry cost that meets your needs to try it for a season or two, to see if it works for you; if it doesn't, TM's in good condition hold their value.

Good luck with your decision ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

One aspect that convinced me to get a TM was the amount of help available here. If you have any amount of DIY skills, some one around here has a fix for just about anything that could go wrong. The only downside about this site is that it keeps adding to my wish list of things to upgrade.

br2: You must have one heck of a garage! I can't even get my 2720 in my garage.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Gwenne & Len

If you have a Tow Vehicle that will pull a TM with a king bed, it is worth it. We had a 2720, which we loved....but when we got our 3124, the king bed and extra space and storage are great. We don't wake each other up when we get up in the night, fyi. Worth it!!
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
br2_wdc

Default Purple Line Trailer Mover to the Rescue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
One aspect that convinced me to get a TM was the amount of help available here. If you have any amount of DIY skills, some one around here has a fix for just about anything that could go wrong. The only downside about this site is that it keeps adding to my wish list of things to upgrade.

br2: You must have one heck of a garage! I can't even get my 2720 in my garage.
First, I agree 100% that I should have added this Forum as a "5th" reason to get a TM; no question the information I received here gave me everything I needed to pull the trigger on our 3023 (which had to have the swing out hitch as you will see shortly).

In terms of my garage, I may someday publish a book on what it took to get my 3023 in the garage, but to summarize: I vastly underestimated my ability to use our tow vehicle to maneuver a 3000 lbs TM into my 21 foot deep garage with only 3" of leeway front and back, and 5 inches either side, and 5 inches on top; oh yeah, I also have a steep driveway

I would prefer not to say how many times my poor neighbors saw me attempt to back the TM into my garage, but suffice to say given the extremely small margin for error I could not get it in.

Numerous TM Forum members mentioned a powered trailer dolly as a solution, which I looked into, but when a member mentioned a sale on Purple Line trailer mover I jumped, had it installed, and was finally able to get my trailer in the garage. Not the cheapest solution, but truly may have been the only solution for my situation.

I did a quick search and found the link to the YouTube Video which describes how it works:

https://youtu.be/YLPkDWSMuwM
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #7
momto4girls

Wow. We have a steep driveway, too. We opted to pay to park our TM in storage. I may have to look into this. Storage isn't cheap. We have a spot to park our TM under a large deck on a patio. I just thought our driveway was too steep--that the rear bumper would bottom out on the concrete trying to back it up from the street. hmmmm. very interesting.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #8
ArkyDoodle

I too have a tight garage situation with an uphill driveway and the Purpeline IS the right answer...It ain't cheap, but I can now easily back the TM outta the garage, set it up and get stuff in and out of it in about 5 minutes.....and put it back in it's place (within a couple of inches to the walls) in just a few more minutes......All without sweat or strain....A lifesaver on this old back

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

An alternative is to mount a front hitch receiver on your truck. It doesn't need to be as heavy as the main hitch on the back of the truck, because it will never see the stresses and loads of over-the-road use. But with a hitch on the front, tiny adjustments in position and direction are possible. No need for a full-blown WDH - a simple one-piece ball mount (even from WalMart!) is fine. And once you remove the ball mount, the receiver is barely visible.

For example, here is the one that would fit my truck.
https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2014_Ford_F-150.htm

As for scraping the bumper or the hitch, a couple 2-foot pieces of 2X6 or 2X8 plank, laid on the pavement across the direction of travel, will work wonders. I know I have to use them as I back my TM over the swale where my driveway meets the street.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengiesige View Post
on drivers side under front bumper I don't know what it's called it's where you can attach a rope to pull somebody that's where it is
Tow hook