TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
brulaz

Default Elkmont Hitch Height and Toyota Tacoma bed drop ?

Can somebody tell me what the hitch height of a level Elkmont will be?

Also, I have no idea what the tonque weight will be fully loaded. I think for the version with zero options (~2500#) and unloaded, it is 320#. The trailer I'm buying is about 3000# dry, with a GVW is #4230. So the tongue weight could easily get up to 600# or more depending upon how it's loaded.

Any Toyota Tacoma 4x4 drivers out there with the tow package running something similar? How much does your Taco bed drop withOUT a weight distributing hitch? From your experience, should I be looking at one? I am a little concerned about throwing more weight back on the Elkmont axle, which I think is only rated for 3500#

I'm in Ontario, the trailer is in Texas, and we're trying to make the pickup as smooth as possible.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I have a Pro-Eagle 1000lb WDH setup that the dealer installed on my original tow vehicle (a Sienna Minivan).

The hitch with the WDH spring-bar sockets bolts to the extension coming out of the receiver on the tow vehicle. With the van, the ball was actually higher than the receiver (so instead of the hitch dropping to be level with the tongue, it rose up).

When I got the Tacoma, I un-bolted the hitch, flipped the extension over to make it a drop instead of a rise and re-adjusted the ball height so the Tacoma matched the trailer. There are 4 or 5 holes to adjust the hitch in any increment you need and for more drastic adjustment you can flip the whole extension bar over if needed.

There's a picture here that if you look carefully, you can see the adjustment holes on the hitch where it meets the shaft that goes into the receiver.

With my Sienna I had airbags and usually had the WDH springs with 5 links of tension.

With the Tacoma I still prefer to use the WDH, but only need to go with about 3 links of tension on the spring bars to do the job.

With less tension required, there should be less weight being transfer between axles.

Not sure, but the Tacaoma 4x4 with Elkmont combo could probably benefit from *some* weight distribution.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
brulaz

Well, here's my problem.

My Elkmont's dry weight is 3000#. Let's make that 4000# wet weight.

If the tongue weight ends up being 12% of trailer wet weight(or 480#), that would leave 3520# on the trailer axle, which supposedly has a max of 3500#.

If the tongue weight is 13%, there's 3480# on the axle.
If 15%, there's 3400#.

So there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for throwing weight back onto the trailer axle under full load. And under a lighter load, it's less necessary.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the axle rating though. I'll try to get more info on that, or maybe there's an Elkmont owner here that could tell me?

And I would still like to know the top-of-ball height on a level Elkmont. (hint-hint)
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Scott O

My experience pretty much parallels Muddogs. I didn't get into the numbers, but just did the TV sag measurements and adjusted the WDH chain until both ends of the TV sagged about the same. I also use the 3rd link. Interested to know what you find out about he axle rating, as I never thought of that as an issue. If you want accurate info, you might contact Dexter or TM directly.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Well, here's my problem.

If the tongue weight ends up being 12% of trailer wet weight(or 480#), that would leave 3520# on the trailer axle, which supposedly has a max of 3500#.

If 15%, there's 3400#.

So there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for throwing weight back onto the trailer axle under full load. And under a lighter load, it's less necessary.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the axle rating though. I'll try to get more info on that, or maybe there's an Elkmont owner here that could tell me?

And I would still like to know the top-of-ball height on a level Elkmont. (hint-hint)
You might want to check the rear axle rating on your Taco too......
Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Well, here's my problem.

If 15%, there's 3400#.

There is not much wiggle room on any of the TM designs and most owners run right up to or somewhat over the limit. I think that is why TM went to the 15" wheel in 2010 models.

I believe that all TM's use the same 3500# Dexter axle. My information indicates the TM factory ( in 2004) changed the way it calculates the TM Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR). It is now 3,500# plus the weight of tires, rims & drums (items that are not carried by the axle). This GAWR value now appears to be 3,640#, not 3,500#.

If your TM has labels like my 2010 3326, there should be a label on the backside of a sink cabinet door that gives full details of the allowed weight loading. The attached .pdf shows weight information that I have gathered on various TM models and model years. It's a work in progress, so if you wish, I will add any "actual" weight information that you finally obtain for your Elkmont.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW3a.pdf (48.6 KB, 407 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Well, here's my problem.

The Elkmont specifications from TM website are: Dry Weight/UVW = 2498#, Load Capacity/CCC = 1250#. That makes the max Wet Weight/GVWR = 3747#. Note that your wet weight value of 4000# is 253# over the max weight rating of the Elkmont.

Quote:
If the tongue weight is 12% of of GVWR @ 3747#, then: Tongue weight = 450# & Axle weight = 3298#. this is 202# under the max axle weight (assuming the 3500# is correct) and would allow a WD hitch to distribute a max tongue weight of 600# without overloading the axle.

Quote:
If the tongue weight is 13%, there's 3480# on the axle. If 15%, there's 3400#. So there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for throwing weight back onto the trailer axle under full load. And under a lighter load, it's less necessary.

The ball height should be the same as the folding TM's. The frame/axle mounting system is almost identical. 19" for standard height and 21" for a lifted frame.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
brulaz

Mike, the weight Trailmanor reports on it's website is rather deceptive. AFAIK, it does not include the required option package, nor any other options like AC, awning, etc.

They do however provide a dry weight and max GVW on the delivered trailer. Although I haven't yet seen my trailer, the dealer tells me that it's dry weight, as reported by TrailManor, is 3000# and the GVW is 4230#.

Thanks for the 19' ball height.

Jerry,
Thanks for the GAWR axle info. #3640 will definitely give me more room for adjustment. And thanks for the pdf. When I get my Elkmont I'll report here any info I find on the labels.

HarveyRV,
I've been using the Truck's max tongue weight (650#), max towing weight (6500#), GVWR (5450#) and max total vehicle + trailer weight (11,100#). Although truck's payload will decrease with increasing tongue weight, the max tongue weight of 650# seems like more than enough. The GAWR are 3109#R and 2754#F, but I'm not really sure how to evaluate those.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:

HarveyRV,
I've been using the Truck's max tongue weight (650#), max towing weight (6500#), GVWR (5450#) and max total vehicle + trailer weight (11,100#). Although truck's payload will decrease with increasing tongue weight, the max tongue weight of 650# seems like more than enough. The GAWR are 3109#R and 2754#F, but I'm not really sure how to evaluate those.
Your max rr axle weight rating is 3109#. There is only one way to properly evaluate that. You should take your fully loaded truck & trailer to a certified scale and have them weighed. If the rr axle is carrying in excess of 3109# you have a problem.

You should have a dry weight for the rr axle also. A little math will tell you the loading capacity but there is nothing like going to the scales to be sure.

Remember, everything that you put in your vehicle, including the driver & passengers, will effect the load to the rear axle (not just what goes in the back of the truck).
Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is some confusion - at least I am confused - abuot the tire size on the Elkmont. The Trailmanor website appears to say that it has 13-inch tires, and since it is a single-axle trailer, you know that can't be right. On the other hand, some of the dealer sites (for example this one) say that it has 225/75R/15D tires, which makes a lot more sense. Assuming these are Marathons like the rest of the TM line, they are rated 2540 pounds at 65 psi each. That should be plenty for a fully-optioned Elkmont. However, Jerry is probably right about the axle - either 3500 or 3640 pounds - so that becomes the final limiting factor.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote