TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Dave E

Default wheel balancing

I just noticed that none of the three wheels on my Elkmont have any balancing weights on them. I can't imagine that they are all perfectly balanced. Is balancing something that is not done at the factory? My dealer never mentioned that I should have them balanced. I would think that unbalanced tires would wear unevenly and more rapidly. Does anyone have more information for me.

Thank you
Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I doubt that my wheels were balanced, because, like you, I did not see any weights.

I towed my 270 from March 2005 until the blow out in July 2008 that way. When I replaced all three Marathons I had all three wheels balanced.

I never notice any vibration.

When replacing tires I would always balance them. For your situation, I might just let it go. Others will, perhaps, suggest otherwise.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
I just noticed that none of the three wheels on my Elkmont have any balancing weights on them. I can't imagine that they are all perfectly balanced. Is balancing something that is not done at the factory? My dealer never mentioned that I should have them balanced. I would think that unbalanced tires would wear unevenly and more rapidly. Does anyone have more information for me.

Thank you
Dave
The tires should be balanced. Did you check the inside of the wheels?

Unbalanced tires can cause a lot more problems than tire wear. If the tires are out of balance it could cause undue stress on the entire camper. They can literally shake the cabinetry apart on the inside and cause parts to fall off all over the camper. Sometimes the vibration can be quite extreme in the trailer and you would never know it, unless you were riding inside (which I am not recommending).
Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
ib4classics

I agree with balancing. I just had three new Marathons mounted and balanced with metal valve stems.
Each wheel took at least two weights, some inside and some outside.
It seems rare for RV trailer tires to wear out tread wise so all that vibration will go on unless you balance the wheels.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
rumbleweed

If you decide to get them balanced ( I would) have the valve stems changed to metal. The cost is minimal approx $2.50 each and a small charge for installation if done while balancing.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
kenngeri2720

Dave,
I thought the same thing until I pull the wheels off to have them balance and the weigths were on the inside of the wheel.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Bluegrass

My TM came with the wheels balanced. As others have noted, the weights were on the inside of the rim.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Dave E

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I finally got some free time and looked INSIDE the passenger side wheel. There I saw a big wheel weight.
I guess I get the cranial-anal inversion award for today!

Thanks again
Dave
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I finally got some free time and looked INSIDE the passenger side wheel. There I saw a big wheel weight.
I guess I get the cranial-anal inversion award for today!

Thanks again
Dave
Not to worry. My impressions is that most RV manufaturers do not bother to balance the tires. My tires on my2003 Trailmanor were not balanced prior to my buying it, and the tires on my new Surveyor were not balanced.

Balancing is good.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
robertkennel

My tires had no weights, inside or outside. It is a 2008 tm. It took weights on the inside and outside and plenty of weight too. A couple of ounces total. The problem with weights on the inside might be it was only static balanced and not dynamically balanced. Most times dynamically balancing a tire you will need weights on the inside and outside. Robert