TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
SireMike

Default First real weekend camiping and broke the AC

Purchased a used 3124ks a little over a week ago. Everything seemed to work ok so we went directly to the RV park at the Navy base to try it out. Was only a couple of days but we wanted to learn how things work before we went further. Everything seemed to work ok except a problem with the spring clips for the door.

Last weekend we ventured to a State Park just 30 miles from home (North Florida) to camp as it was our last three day weekend from work. (Local school system employee)

The AC broke the 2nd day. OAT was about 95 and inside was around 79. I just had adjusted the thermostat warmer as the morning was pretty cool in the trailer with the ac on low.

I sat down and an unusual odor was starting in the TM. I had just plugged in a device to an ac plug, the guy next door just started his BBQ so I was not sure if an outside odor came in.

I then noticed the AC quit. The fan runs ok and the compressor seems to start but then shuts off right away. I checked voltages at a couple of outlets and the electrical post and they were around 121 vac. I reset breakers and tired it again. Same problem, so it looks like something got fried or just gave up.

Sleeping that night was not as much fun that night as the OAT was around 85 when we went to bed.

Hopefully the bugs will work themselves out before I take it farther

I have another story on the door spring clips

Mike
Old 07-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
SireMike

Took The TM to the dealer and they found a bad capacitor.

As I was driving away I thought about how I never did see them raise the TM to test the AC. Guess I will find out for sure the next time if it is really fixed.

Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
calypso

Hmmm, AC problems seem to be running rampant right now...we just cracked the cover to ours trying to get the TM back in the garage. It's always been a tight fit due to the height of the garage door, but our TM always made it through unscathed (that is until we returned from camping in 105 degree heat and didn't realize the wood around the door had expanded). Yep, we backed 'er in as usual and immediately heard "crrrrrack"! My husband thinks he can fix it, which will be great if it works out. We've definitely learned not to *assume* the TM will always fit in our garage.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
dbnoll

I changed my "start capacitor" in my garage at home. The capacitor begins to melt the one terminal which is what causes the odor. It is actually easier to change when the TM is not set up, because you have more support on the roof area to work. It is an easy fix to do and cost me around $25 for the kit. As long as they hooked the wires up properly it will work.

FYI - I was told by an A/C tech that the best way to prolong the life of the capacitor is to run the A/C on low. Apparently the reason that they burn up prematurely is because many of the "30 and 50" amp services at campgrounds are actually not up to full power and causes the capacitors to overload on startup because the amperage is actually too low. At minimum, it is always a good idea to turn the A/C on in "Low" and then switch to "High" after startup.