TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default A fond farewell to our Trailmanor

My wife and I parted ways with our beloved 2922KD today. After two hail damage incidents (one severe) in two years we knew we had to do something. My first preference was to build a shelter on our property and after a year of trying, it became apparent it was too complicated and too expensive. Research shows that fiberglass construction is much more resistant to hail damage-it seems anything that would damage a fiberglass trailer would be of epic proportions. So I have been toying with a change for a while. Now, with being "orphaned" a real possibility I knew it was time. Too many unique parts on a Trailmanor that if broken and unavailable would leave you out of luck. I figured the trade in value will never be higher, at least until Trailmanors become collector items. So, after 10 days of looking at a ton of travel trailers in northern Colorado, we found the "one". A 2016 Lance 1995 travel trailer at Ketelsens Campers in Denver. We made the trade this afternoon. It was sad to see our tricked out Trailmanor being towed away. We will miss our very unique trailer. We will miss the fine folks on this forum, most of all Bill, his amazing screen door and always ready advice and steady hand at running one of the best forums on the internet. I won't go away completely, too many great folks here, and may even chime in if I have experience on a topic. Thanks to all for a wonderful Trailmanor experience.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
MT Camper

I just looked up your new trailer and the floor plan is what I have been looking at on the internet. Walk around bed, slide, around 23 feet, etc. My concern is the hail damage and it happening again. We get storms like this yearly in Montana. So like you I may be making a change when I get done with the insurance company. We'll see.

Congrats on the new trailer and hope it works well for you.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Where did your 2922KD go please ?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

One internet site told of a fiberglass trailer in a campground that experienced a major hail storm. His tow vehicle had $7000 worth of damage, an Airstream was totaled and all aluminium trailers had major damage...his...two broken skylights.
The dealer was coy about who was buying the Trailmanor saying only one company bid on it and they would ship it out as it was too much of a niche item for them to sell. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up at The Car Show in Colorado Springs.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sounds like if I go way out West then I better bring along the heavy tarp I use to cover it in the grotto. Suspect that would do a good ob of cushioning impacts and might keep the rig cooler as well.

Have gotten hail here before but think most was pebble sized though in thutty yars have had more house damage from hail than from himmicanes.

Must admit that after a year with the 2720SL, a 2922KD sounds ideal.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Our old 2922KD is for sale at The Car Show in Colorado Springs. It is what I thought when making the trade, but for some reason, the dealer did not want to disclose who bought the unit. It is very clean and will be great for some one!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

Mark,

Sorry for your TM loss, but please stick around on this forum. You always provide sound advice. Your Lance looks really sweet. Please let us know on future outings how it tows, reacts in crossing winds, and "meeting engagements" with semi's. One of the major reasons I started towing TM's in 1997 was because I didn't like the way "bumper pull" travel trailers reacted to those situations. NOW, we have an experienced TM puller that can give us an honest comparison.

Dave
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Lance looks like a great company.

MarkoPolo, I also have appreciated your posts on this forum and would like to hear your towing experience with the Lance. Looks like a great trailer from a great company. I'd love to see what Lance would do with the TM patents...

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
bigd13

Also - one quick question to the main point of the thread. Per a quick google search, fiberglass RV's are not necessarily better than metal. It seems that hail damage to fiberglass still occurs, to the foam underneath and can lead to delaminating. Am I missing something?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #10
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Yes, you are missing the various ways that fiberglass can be laminated to various types of substructures. Earlier and recent less expensive construction in fiberglass campers can delaminate from surface strikes. Newer (and more expensive) methods minimize that chance. Hail would have to be of epic size for that to happen. Interesting video on the Lance site detailing their construction.
I needed a way to minimize hail damage. My lot along with county and HOA restrictions made it way too expensive to build a structure for my Trailmanor..I looked at various ways for two years.
A well made fiberglass camper gives me the best option for minimal hail damage. I have two dinged (one seriously) Trailmanors in two years.