TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #21
ChefLamont

I have been to some but not as many as some of you. However, I have been to Glacier and it is well worth the trip. Highly recommended.
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:14 AM   #22
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uurider View Post
I hope you can advise me. My wife and I are planning a trip West (from Western New York State) and would hope to camp in Yellowstone from September 12-18. I am a bit nervous about bears so would like to camp in whichever campground has the lowest bear visitation rate. But on the other hand we must have 110v electric to power some medical equipment at night. Any recommendations? Thanks.
As I remember the only CG within Yellowstone NP that has electric is Fishing Bridge. It's a paved parking lot with paint strips marking the campsites. Like camping at wally world only with water and electric.

Check here for the Yellowstone area: Allstays

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #23
fourteener

I happen to be one of those proud federal employees of the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service (NPS). It is truly a wonderful job, but I have to take a minute to provide some details. The NPS currently manages 409 (soon to be 410) units including over 84 million acres, which includes National Parks, National Monuments, National Battlefields, National Historic Sites, National Recreation Areas, and a few other designations (www.nps.gov). A few of the ones that you wouldn't necessarily think about include some of the parks in our Nation's Capital like East Potomac Golf Course, the National Mall, and the White House. A couple of our newest include Valles Caldera National Reserve, and the 3-units that comprise the Manhattan Project National Park.

I just had to jump in, because if you are only looking at 47 or 48, you are simply missing over 350 of America's Best Idea (the title of the must see Ken Burns PBS special that tells the NPS's story). With 2016 being the Centennial year for the NPS, please go visit a Park that is new to you and be sure to add it to your list, or as our centennial campaign states - Find Your Park!

Please don't ask me which is my favorite, because I've only made it to 92 of them so far, and I would be lying if I acted like I knew, as they all hold a special place in our American History.

I hope you all get the opportunity to enjoy, relax, and absorb Your National Parks!

As a side note: Our rangers think TM's are pretty sweet rigs!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Might also mention what was formerly called the Golden Eagle Pass. Free for persons with disabilities and $10 for seniors.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
fourteener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Might also mention what was formerly called the Golden Eagle Pass. Free for persons with disabilities and $10 for seniors.
Padgett,

Thanks for that note, and I've added the official link to the pass information from the website that I provided above. http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Please note that the NPS will honor all valid Golden Eagle, Golden Age, and similar passes that were previously purchased. The real plus to these new passes, is that they offer benefits to all federal lands, not just the NPS. Be sure to check into each specific areas rules and regulations, as there does seem to be some inconsistencies between land management agencies (trust me I feel the pain).

One of these days I might be lucky enough to make it to that age of wisdom (62+) where I can get my senior pass for just $10, what a bargain! In the mean time, I'll keep supporting our public lands by purchasing my annual pass for $80.

Hope this helps?
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #26
Logman

Fishing Bridge Campground does not allow tents, or any outside cooking nor even coolers placed outside. Too many grizzly's with cubs travel through that area. I did have sewer water and electric but it is a parking lot. Even so, don't let the fear of bears stop you from visiting Yellowstone. It is an amazing park with an incredible assortment of wildlife and landscapes. Also most other campgrounds in Yellowstone allow tents, fire rings and outside cooking.
2007 Chevy Silverado/w cap
Logman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We have stayed at Fishing Bridge several times. No doubt it is a parking lot. But for us it made sense. Yellowstone is huge park, and it can take more than an hour simply to drive to your destination area, and an hour to drive back to the campground. Once you've reached your daily destination - or along the way - there's a ton of interesting stuff to hike to. It makes for a long day. By the time we got back at the end of the day (maybe 12 hours of being outside), we were pooped. The only thing we wanted was a glass of wine, a quick dinner, and bed. Having hookups sure made this easier.

We have never been people to sightsee for half a day, then go back to the camper and unfurl the awning, roll out a rug, set up beach chairs and a grill, turn on a radio, and chat with the neighbors. We can do that at home.

So to some extent, your choice of Yellowstone campground depends on your camping style.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Yellowstone is the "coolest" place on earth. It has geysers, hot springs, mudpots, waterfalls, elk, bears, wolves, bison and great hiking. Don't chase after bears, bison or elk. They can be dangerous. Everyone should visit at least once.

Frenchy
Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #29
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
................................snip............. Valles Caldera National Reserve........................................snip

Saw this one last summer.......took the free van tour. Great place was in transition from trust status to Reserve

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #30
rtgetchell

Although the park doesn't compare to Glacier or Yellowstone, Mesa Verde is a very cool place too! The reason I mention it is because the full hook-up loop in Morefield Campground is totally unappreciated! It is beautiful for the area and is set on the actual mesa among high desert junipers, scrub oak, and native grasses. The camp store is well stocked, there is a quick-serve restaurant on site, and the showers are FREE for campers! Several trails originate there too. The other loops are ok, but the sites are much larger and more private with the full hook-ups. Strange for a national park! One word of caution.... we did have a rattler cross our site. While more alarming than threatening, there are some in the grasses nearby. More unwanted advice - During busy times, make sure you get you tickets to tour Balcony House and the Cliff Palace in advance. As I remember, both are at least 30 minutes from the CG, and Weatherill Mesa sites are even farther.

Gallo Campground in Chaco Culture (Canyon) National Historic Park in NM is AWESOME! But, be warned....while completely possible for most rigs, there is a very rough section of dusty/rocky road immediately before arriving. Bone jarring. That, in addition to the remoteness, keeps crowds completely away. As TM owners this is where we have a huge advantage... our rigs can go about anywhere. Check it out and see the incredible starry sky, small but NEW visitor's center, trails that remind me of Moab (Chacoan Stairway, for example) and the American version of Pompeii. You won't be disappointed!

Capital Reef National Park is almost always skipped, but shouldn't be. Fruita Campground is good, and the trail to Cassidy Arch is absolutely spectacular! At the top you will be walking on the arch itself (no worry...it is wide!) about 1000 feet above the canyon floor. The road from Capital Reef to Bryce Canyon through Boulder is surreal. Highway 12. Pavement on rolling hills of slickrock. You won't forget it......
rtgetchell is offline   Reply With Quote