TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Mosquitoes Ahead! Scrubjaynest??

The season(s) of mosquitoes is upon us (especially here in FL) and I was just looking through some of the archived posts on the topic which include covering openings in the slides, keeping all the lights off, and wearing deet, all good suggestions except for every time the door is opened.

I read one post in which the TM owner mentioned making a screen door, but I haven't seen this mod described. Anyone out there who has done this successfully?

Scrubjaynest, if you are reading this, I know you mention frequent stays in the mosquito backwoods, have you done some mods for this problem. I am seriously considering putting mosquito bars on wheels for use wherever and whenever needed.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There are several designs for screens. Most involve velcro and hanging strips of screen. These are easy to make, as well as being available commercially.

For another approach, take a look at posts by DenAndSue. They made, patented, and sold upper-half screen doors for the TM. Sadly, Den died last year, and they no longer make them. A couple of us have made one-off copies for our own use, but partly because of the patent issues, no one is making them for sale. But if you are reasonably handy, you might be able to duplicate Dennis' design.

There are several threads. If you use the Advanced Search tool on the term "screen" and the name "DenandSue", you will find them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Thanks Bill. I actually have one of those screen door mods and plan to use it. I wrote that post before I was fully awake and what I really wanted to say was not:

Quote:
I read one post in which the TM owner mentioned making a screen door, but I haven't seen this mod described. Anyone out there who has done this successfully?
but rather this:
Quote:
I would like to put a screen enclosure out over the steps to keep mosquitoes away from the door while entering and leaving. I read one post in which the TM owner mentioned making a screen door, but I haven't seen this [my] mod described. Anyone out there who has done this successfully?
Sorry.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
......................snip........................ ........

Scrubjaynest, if you are reading this, I know you mention frequent stays in the mosquito backwoods, have you done some mods for this problem. I am seriously considering putting mosquito bars on wheels for use wherever and whenever needed.
Haven't built a screen yet, but then a Thermo cell does an excellent job even in Alaska where the mosquito is the state bird. But then they haven't
been in Fl swamps either. Place the Thermo cell near the door.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
TravlinOn

This drawing hopefully shows one way of doing what I would like to accomplish. I am thinking that a large “Mosquito Bar” such as is used over a bed could be modified/added to in order to have just a screened entrance beyond the TM door to reduce their access to the inside. Of course, the awning could not be used at the same time. PS: Forget about the reference to wheels in my previous post - That was for use in the inside.
Attached Images