TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Can the Andersen Leveler be used on a gravel pad/site?

Or what about leveling in a pasture--soft ground?

Our upcoming trip we will be parked on a gravel pad. Ok to use it on gravel or only on paved sites?

If we take the camper to an Auburn game, we will be parked in a pasture--guaranteed to not be level. I own (never used) a Bal leveler, but read recently that the TM might be too heavy for it, and it might sink in soft ground. Would the Andersen be better? or just use the basic lego looking things?

Just trying to keep things as easy-to-do as possible to preserve my sanity and my marriage.

Of course if we're lucky and the site is pretty level, we'll just use the jacks like we did last time.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

how about a wood plank to "spread the weight" a bit, then the andersen or bal on top of that?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
inghamm
Site Sponsor

I know I've had my Andersen leveler slide when trying to back onto it. Can't remember if it was dirt, grass or gravel.

Side note:
I've decided I'm not going to use it in most instances because I use stabilizers on my levelers to cut down on motion in the trailer. My wife is very motion sensitive and my theory is if all the weight is on the wheels, we will get more bounce and rocking motion.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo628 View Post
how about a wood plank to "spread the weight" a bit, then the andersen or bal on top of that?
Good idea...need to verify the weight limit of the Bal. I bought it for the pasture scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
I know I've had my Andersen leveler slide when trying to back onto it. Can't remember if it was dirt, grass or gravel.

Side note:
I've decided I'm not going to use it in most instances because I use stabilizers on my levelers to cut down on motion in the trailer. My wife is very motion sensitive and my theory is if all the weight is on the wheels, we will get more bounce and rocking motion.
This is good to know. This is what I was concerned about. Seems like the Andersen is ideal for asphalt.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Or what about leveling in a pasture--soft ground?

Our upcoming trip we will be parked on a gravel pad. Ok to use it on gravel or only on paved sites?
I just got an Anderson, and my TM is sitting on it now, in my very soft, very wet driveway (gravel, but mostly packed sand). It sank a very small amount when I first backed onto it, so I backed onto a little more to level the TM, but it hasn't sunk any more after that first bit. Seems to be just fine.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Been using the Anderson for about 4 years on gravel 5 weeks in same gravel spot and have had no problems at all. so use it as it is a great way to level your TM

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
momto4girls

Thanks for the replies. That's reassuring.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post

Side note:
I agree with your theory, so I remove some of the weight from the wheels by: a) lower the nose of the TM a bit; b) drop the rear jacks to the ground; c) raise the nose via power jack on tongue; d) drop the front jacks to the ground; e) make sure I'm level all around, adjust as needed.

This increases the weight ratio on the jacks relative to the wheels, and I find it to be more stable. I also have a stabilizer system on the jacks, which really locks down the TM so there is essentially no motion.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Your comment about sliding got me thinking (mine have slid occasionally): what about screwing a pad (I received a rubber mat with one of my Andersens) to the leveler, so you begin with the tire on the mat? This would keep the leveler from sliding away.

Will likely do that this weekend, now that I have thought about it!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Your comment about sliding got me thinking (mine have slid occasionally): what about screwing a pad (I received a rubber mat with one of my Andersens) to the leveler, so you begin with the tire on the mat? This would keep the leveler from sliding away.

Will likely do that this weekend, now that I have thought about it!
let me know how it does. I've been reading that some use some kind of grip tape to keep from slipping, but I don't know what exactly they mean by "grip tape". I think it's for the tires making contact with the leveler though--not exactly what you're talking about here.