TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Lake Claiborne, Homer La

This is a very nice state park about 10 miles east of Homer on highway 146. Two camping loops, premium sites on the lake are currently $2.00 more then regular camping fees. Electric, 50 amp, and water at sites, flush toilets and HOT showers. Each loop has it's own dump station. Paved pad, gravel at table and fire ring. Free WIFI through out both loops. Hiking and mtn bike trails. Canoe, kayak, and Jon boat rentals. Swimming beach in picnic area.
Boat ramp at picnic area. Although we prefer more primitive camping as state parks go this is a favorite of ours.

Currently we are riding out the big rain mass coming out of Tx. So far watching the rain over the lake is very nice. This will be a good test for leaks, since they weather guessers are calling for 7 to 10 inches of rain.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

There is a nice family owned and run, mostly the grand children, when you turn towards Homer from the park. Port AU Prince is the name. A simple menu cat fish or steak. Had the all you can eat fried catfish filets, fries, hush puppies, coleslaw, and home made pickles. Plus bean soup. DW had to roll me out to the truck.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

scrub
7 to 10 inches of rain , sure hope you chose high ground if not, you may be looking at water tight, not leaks, of course dw could use you as an anchor after a dinner like that

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We payed the $2 extra for lake front. The lake is 1 1/2 feet below normal and we are about 10 feet above the lake. So far 4.8 inches in our rain gauge.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
wmtire

If you like Claiborne, then you need to try Lake D'Arbonne State Park, about 30 miles east of you. It's my favorite, and we stay at it many times a year (it's only 25 miles from my house).

Unfortunately, Darbonne closed their campground down March 12th in order to renovate their bath house. They are trying to get the campground opened back up by Memorial Day weekend. The rest of the park is open for business. They have a monthly Saturday meeting of a dutch oven club in this park, as well as regional cookoffs. If you coincide your camping trip with these, you can get to sample a lot of great food...for free....as well as learn some dutch oven techniques/recipes.

http://www.ladutch.com/chapters

I like Claiborne too, but made the mistake one time of using one of the side by side pull through spots there. Every time my neighbor moved in his camper I could hear him, and I'm sure vice-versa. I won't make that error again.

I remember when we ate at Port O Prince. We asked for a menu and they said we had two choices, Steak or catfish. It was kind of pricey, but good. They made about $300 just off our group that night.

If you're back this way in April, our camping group is invading Jimmie Davis State Park the 21st, near Chatham, LA. It's another good park. Each camping loop there even has it's own bath house......and it has a beach also.

As you might can tell, I am bias towards our state parks here in the north. Our local geocaching group has worked with all the state parks, and the staff at each one is so receptive to the game.

I hate that all this rain is happening during your visit. We are predicted to get around 7-9 inches with this system. I hope they are wrong. If you get too stir crazy, there is a little Vanity Fair Outlet mall in Arcadia, which is south of you. They have a neat Black & Decker store in there.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
ng2951

Both places are nice. Though at Lake D'Arbonne my pardette nearly filed for divorce since we were new to parking the 3326, especially at night!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Were you able to fish at Claiborne?
We drive by there every time we go visit my dad and his wife who live about 3 miles from D'Arbonne State Park. We've never camped at either one but may in the future as camping on my dad's property was pretty noisy. (I didn't realize guinea hens made so much noise at night!)
We have most of the geocaches in D'Arbonne.

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREXHUNTERS View Post
Were you able to fish at Claiborne?
We drive by there every time we go visit my dad and his wife who live about 3 miles from D'Arbonne State Park. We've never camped at either one but may in the future as camping on my dad's property was pretty noisy. (I didn't realize guinea hens made so much noise at night!)
We have most of the geocaches in D'Arbonne.
Lake Claiborne has a marina, canoe and kayak rentals, and a boat ramp. There is bank fishing and a dock about every two sites on the water.