TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
scoobysue

Default My Camping Season over after this weekend!!!

I'm bummed.... I live in Maryland it is just gets too cold to camp from the months of November through March... Looks like this will be my last trip out this weekend to Luray Caverns, VA. Anyone else bummed that camping season is coming to an end?? I'm jealous of all you people from Florida and California right now.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysue View Post
Looks like this will be my last trip out this weekend to Luray Caverns, VA. Anyone else bummed that camping season is coming to an end??
I Was At Endless Caverns Camping With The Family Last Weekend, Very Nice There. I'll Keep Camping As Long As I Can Drag The Family Out.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysue View Post
I'm bummed.... I live in Maryland it is just gets too cold to camp from the months of November through March... Looks like this will be my last trip out this weekend to Luray Caverns, VA. Anyone else bummed that camping season is coming to an end?? I'm jealous of all you people from Florida and California right now.
Camping season for us is just starting... maybe a few more weeks and it will be cool enough.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Scoobysue

Just up the road from you and hope to get at least two more trips in before I winterize. Not sure what is worse, winterizing in the fall or keeping the TM stocked, charged and full of water so you have a place to live after the earthquake.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
PopBeavers

We will likely go camping for a few days the weekend after Thanksgiving, some where near Pismo/San Luis Obispo.

When the kids, now 26 and 28, were young we would borrow grandpas motor home and go camping for a few days during Christmas break at Big Sur State Park.

We do not camp in November or December, because we are too busy with the Holidays. Sometimes we camp in January or February, but not in the Sierras.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Bluegrass

Today's weather brings to mind a great bluegrass lyric sung by Del McCoury:

"As I walk down this valley, the clouds are movin' in.
The wind's icy fingernails are clawin' at my skin.
There's snow on the mountain and it looks like it's gonna rain,
As I walk down this highway of pain."

We got the first snow of the season today. TM is buttoned up.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

In CA, December through January is an ideal time to visit the desert areas & the southern beaches. Other than the weekends and holidays, you can pretty much just drive into a campground and get a spot without reservations. We get quite a bit of rain between October and April where we are in Santa Cruz, but the southern part of the state doesn't get nearly as much as we do. The only drawback is the shorter days, you can't stay out hiking as long as you can in the summer.

I love winter camping in CA, as long as we head far enough south!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
In CA, December through January is an ideal time to visit the desert areas & the southern beaches. Other than the weekends and holidays, you can pretty much just drive into a campground and get a spot without reservations. We get quite a bit of rain between October and April where we are in Santa Cruz, but the southern part of the state doesn't get nearly as much as we do. The only drawback is the shorter days, you can't stay out hiking as long as you can in the summer.

I love winter camping in CA, as long as we head far enough south!
Don't forget about those darn earthquakes........ewwwwwww!!! Those things are scary. I recommend staying as far east of the fault lines as possible. In fact, I think that about 75% of the people currently in danger should get out quick. Oh!!!! and those campgrounds????? Yep....you guessed it......right on the fault lines........ Whew!!!! Dangerous stuff......dangerous......dangerous......dangerous ..
Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'd much rather ride out one of our California seismic events in the TM than in our house. At least in the last one, I was OUTSIDE the house, looking at it shake back and forth a foot or so....and not inside, watching it pitch our player piano that weighs 400 lbs. a couple of feet from where it was before..

Are you trying to scare visitors away from our state? Shame on you ! We dearly need the money from our visitors from other states. Everyone, don't listen to the man behind the curtain, everything will be OK. Just click your heels together and you will be back in Kansas...in the midst of a tornado...when the earthquake strikes...

Happy Halloween everyone!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I'd much rather ride out one of our California seismic events in the TM than in our house. At least in the last one, I was OUTSIDE the house, looking at it shake back and forth a foot or so....and not inside, watching it pitch our player piano that weighs 400 lbs. a couple of feet from where it was before..

Are you trying to scare visitors away from our state? Shame on you ! We dearly need the money from our visitors from other states. Everyone, don't listen to the man behind the curtain, everything will be OK. Just click your heels together and you will be back in Kansas...in the midst of a tornado...when the earthquake strikes...

Happy Halloween everyone!
I only have one thing to say, "Dangerous stuff......dangerous......dangerous......dangerous ..".