TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Urgent - Old batteries bulged over winter?

Hi all

need urgent help.

I am preparing to replace my batteries today. Just popped up camper and opened compartment. It appears that maybe one of the batteries bulged over the winter because there is water in the battery box. See pic.

I store my camper in garage over winter and never had any problems previously. I do live in Wisconsin with cold winters.

It looks to me like one of the batteries (see pic) is bulged at the top. Maybe this is the one that cracked? Bulged??

I tested with a voltmeter and batteries still show 13.2 volts about 2 hours after being plugged into shore power.

So what I need to know is:
1. How do I safely handle the water in the battery box? I am guessing it is acidic?

2. Any special concerns about removing the old batteries from this box?

3. What would have caused this? Over filling the water level last year?

4. Any thing else I should be worried about?

Thanks for your quick responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slight bulge on 1 battery.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	17115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water in Battery box.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	17116  

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sara -

First, you need to find out if the liquid you see is water or acid. I can hear the screamed responses already, but the easiest way to do this is to dip a finger in and taste it. Battery acid won't hurt you if the exposure time isn't real long. A couple minutes is fine. I know - I once laid on my back under the rear of my TM, drilled a hole upward for a screw I needed to insert through the floor. Something liquid dripped on my face, and I thought it was water (where in heck is that water coming from?) So I continued the drilling and screwing, and finally some of the "water" dripped into my mouth. Turned out I had drilled into the battery. Battery acid is sour - plain water, or rain, or snowmelt, or condensation, isn't.

If you taste acid, then the battery froze and the case broke, and it is no good. An actual bulge (I can't see one in either of your pics) suggests the same thing. If either of these is the case, there is no way to save it, even if the crack is in the top and not the side of the battery. Discard it.

On the other hand, the pictures show droplets of liquid on top of the battery, which suggests condensation to me. I don't see that the battery is immersed in liquid that partially fills the box - something I am acquainted with. If you taste water, and there are no visible cracks in the case or top, and the water level in the battery is OK, and the battery holds a charge (as yours apparently does), it is most likely OK. Now you gotta figure out where that water came from.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Baking Soda

I called the battery store and said to sprinkle baking soda on batteries and into the water and wait for it to work.

We finally got the battery box out of the compartment and now are waiting for the baking soda to do its work on the water in the battery box and then we will remove the old batteries and take back to the store for recycle.

Then we will install new batteries and put back into the compartment.

Next time I need batteries I will PAY SOMEONE ELSE to change them out.

And of course it is 93 degrees and super humid outside.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 06-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Sara -

First, you need to find out if the liquid you see is water or acid. I can hear the screamed responses already, but the easiest way to do this is to dip a finger in and taste it. Battery acid won't hurt you if the exposure time isn't real long. A couple minutes is fine. I know - I once laid on my back under the rear of my TM, drilled a hole upward for a screw I needed to insert through the floor. Something liquid dripped on my face, and I thought it was water (where in heck is that water coming from?) So I continued the drilling and screwing, and finally some of the "water" dripped into my mouth. Turned out I had drilled into the battery. Battery acid is sour - plain water, or rain, or snowmelt, or condensation, isn't.

Yes, battery acid will eventually eat through your clothes, just as bleach will. And yes, I was lucky I didn't get it in my eyes. But it is not the dreaded fiery all-consuming agonizing destruction that myth will claim it to be. You don't need a full hazmat suit.

If you taste acid, then the battery froze and the case broke, and it is no good. An actual bulge (I can't see one in either of your pics) suggests the same thing. If either of these is the case, there is no way to save it, even if the crack is in the top and not the side of the battery. Discard it.

On the other hand, the pictures show droplets of liquid on top of the battery, which suggests condensation to me. I don't see that the battery is immersed in liquid that partially fills the box - something I am acquainted with. If you taste water, and there are no visible cracks in the case or top, and the water level in the battery is OK, and the battery holds a charge (as yours apparently does), it is most likely OK. Now you gotta figure out where that water came from.

Let the screaming and moaning begin!

Bill
You've got a chemistry teacher on the TM forums, so I'll have to be the first to give the lashings! (Sorry Bill)

Please don't touch or taste battery acid. Yes, I have spilt strong acids on my skin before, but I washed it off immediately. If I had merely wiped it off or failed to rinse it off, it could have caused a chemical burn. Bill's right, it's not the dreaded nasty chemical requiring a full hazmat suit, but I still wouldn't advise touching and tasting it deliberately. Also, if it does get into your eyes, it could cause severe damage because you probably don't have an eye wash station right beside you to rinse sulphuric acid off your cornea. Basically, as a chemist, I do have to say something.

There. It has been said.

Now, if the battery has buldged, it may still be under pressure. USE SAFETY GOGGLES! Also, it may be wise to fit a heavy duty plastic bag around the battery as you open the inspection plate. This will minimize any spray if it truly is under pressure, and make cleanup easier. I would also have everything electrical disconnected in case of hydrogen gas buildup. I kind of doubt this, because the buildup of gas is normally associated with overcharging which I believe is unlikely.

Probably the best idea is to sprinkle a little baking soda (not baking power) onto liquid in question. Baking power will bubble and fizz even in pure water. Baking soda will bubble and fizz rapidly in acid, but pretty much sit there in water. This will achieve two things. First, it will neutralize the acid rendering it fairly safe to touch. Secondly, it will tell you it is acidic.

But definitely, discard the battery.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
I called the battery store and said to sprinkle baking soda on batteries and into the water and wait for it to work.

We finally got the battery box out of the compartment and now are waiting for the baking soda to do its work on the water in the battery box and then we will remove the old batteries and take back to the store for recycle.

Then we will install new batteries and put back into the compartment.

Next time I need batteries I will PAY SOMEONE ELSE to change them out.

And of course it is 93 degrees and super humid outside.
Unless you don't like stooping over and carrying a heavy battery, I don't think you need to go so far as hiring some one to change your battery for you. The baking soda will work pretty much instantaneously, so you shouldn't have to wait for it. Safety goggles are a good thing to have around anyway, and it would probably have been a good idea to use some gloves when removing the battery. You probably had gloves lying around when you have to deal with the, ahem, toilet stuff.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Get two GC2s. If it gets to freezing where you are, you will need to keep them charged all winter. Discharged batteries freeze, charged ones have a freezing point low enough that you should not encounter it. Bulges could be a result of freezing.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default New issue install 2 GC batteries

We are installing new batteries. I am getting sparking when Trina to connect the final wires to the negative post of battery b.

This is the order we reinstalled the wires which is exact reverse order of removal.

1st attached positive of battery b
2nd attached negative go battery a
3rd attached positive to battery a
4th trying to install final wires to negative of battery b. But it sparks each time I touch it.

What am I doing wrong.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Sparking can be normal. This will happen on a car battery as well.

Did you disconnect the 120 V line to the trailer?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Sparking can be normal. This will happen on a car battery as well.

Did you disconnect the 120 V line to the trailer?
Yes. After googling it I saw that info. While “normal” it sure was scary after the day we had..... After a bit we tried it again with only a small spark and that was it. Got it all done now.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Sure wasn’t expecting what should have been a one hour job to turn into 5 1/2 hours. Even bringing the old batteries back was an adventure.

But it’s all done now thanks to my sisters muscle and assistance.

I bought a great battery tender to use over winter so hopefully these new batteries give me good long life.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 07-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
clan_salmons

Do you have a battery cutoff switch? I'm not the electrical expert here, but getting a spark indicates a load. A parasitic load could drop your voltage low enough for the batteries to freeze. The battery tender will counter that.

Out of habit I switch off my batteries whenever I'm not on the road. My only parasitc load is my Clipper monitor and I check the battery status periodically. The GC2s are into year six and doing fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acid, batteries, bulged, urgent