TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
joe&Nance

Default how to make a portable solar mount frame?

Hi,
I have been trying to find out how to make a portable frame for my two 80watt solar panels as don't want to mount them permanently. I haven't located any pics of this on the site for "portable" ones, only the ones where they were mounted permanently (mine only came with the permanent mounts so I have to make something and want it sturdy without being too heavy...) I saw this and wondered if it is easier to get something premade like this?

http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar...lt-Legs/p4711/

Next, is there a way open the trailer with them not permanently fixed, or do you have to place them on top after open?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I just made mine out of aluminum L-stock from the hardware store, which appears to be what Unirac used. Did you see this thread? Post #35 has my photo, but there is a lot of good discussion throughout the thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1034

As for opening the trailer, first determine if you need the panels to be up in the air. Quite often I just place mine on the ground, though only in campsites where the risk of theft is small (surprisingly this is not always the wildland campgrounds). If I want them up, I open the front shell, then set them on the roof of the rear shell and open it. It makes the rear shell a bit heavier, so my wife helps me lift it when I am feeling anemic. The problem with putting them on the roof is that it is hard to re-aim them as the day goes along.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
joe&Nance

Default Thanks

Bill,
thank you so much, I had looked at that thread but as I was viewing in "thread" hadn't actually seen your post... changed to "hybrid" and was able to scroll through all the posts to see it. Thanks so much for directing me... This will certainly help... (sure wish the bathroom remodel was done so I could try sooner, still a few weeks of work left there then I can try this.)
Nance
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
rumbleweed

I used 3/4" PVC to make my portable frames for both 80 W and 140W panels. If you carefully choose which joints you glue, the entire thing will disassemble and fold flat for transport. These have been outside in place 24/7 for 2 yrs.. See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	5701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	5702  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
joe&Nance

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I used 3/4" PVC to make my portable frames for both 80 W and 140W panels. If you carefully choose which joints you glue, the entire thing will disassemble and fold flat for transport. These have been outside in place 24/7 for 2 yrs.. See attached photos.
another great idea...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Actually, Bob / rumbleweeds' approach is better than mine. Home in on his design.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
joe&Nance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Actually, Bob / rumbleweeds' approach is better than mine. Home in on his design.

Bill
Bill,
IThanks for saying that, I am very familiar with pvc, having done a lot of plumbing....
Nance
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
rumbleweed

If you have some rough terrain, you can add a short piece of string between the front and rear bottom leg to eliminate stress on the pvc joints. ( Orange lines in photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edit_0224.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	5712  
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
joe&Nance

Default Thanks again

Finally finished my master bath remodel and got it made, thanks...
Nance
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
joe&Nance

Default Testing it out on trip...

Well, thanks again... I finally got my setup done... Dropped in a new battery box, put the batteries in parallel and setup quick connect so I could access easily... works well @ home ---hopefully we can get them on the roof ok... looks like will rain on our trip so probably should bring the generator too...