TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Mccooleys

Default Wire Shelving in Closet

We fold up just about everything while champing, so I removed the hanger bracket in the closet and added wire shelving. I purchased a six foot piece of wire shelving from Lowes and had it cut in three pieces. When I installed it, I turned it around so there would be more access. It fits great in the closet and gives us more than enough room for clothing storage. The shelving adds about five pounds to the weight of the closet.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
trisht

I'm loving this. how did you attach the shelves inside the closet? thanks for sharing your pictures.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
PopBeavers

The disadvantage, I think, that I see with the shelves is what happens to all of the clothes on the shelves when you fold down the closet?

Our closet is always full to the max with stuff on hangers: jackets, sweats, jeans, shirts, printed T-shirts. And that is just the two of us. The only clothes in the drawers is the underwear and towels.

If there is room, I jam our two pillows in the closet when towing.

I hate folding jackets, sweaters and sweats to put on shelves. Even at home they are always on hangers.

We do double up on hangers to increase capacity. A single hanger will have a pair of jeans and a polo shirt on it.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We are weird I guess since use our closest for hanging clothes & haven't really found it would help us to have shelves but if we did want shelves I would most likely use wire shelves.

Good Job!!!

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

As some here have tried, we got one of those hanging fabric shoe/cubby/shelf organizers to put on the bar in there, and the other half of the closet has hanging jackets, mostly. Works for us, and the fabric cubbies partially collapse when the TM is folded down, so the contents tend to stay put in each cubbyhole.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We removed the cabinet completely and just put our clothing duffel bags on the now greatly enlarged shelf. Having the clothes in a solid enclosure didn't add any value for us.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
jimair1548

We have a 3023 so the cab. arrangement may be different on your unit, but we bought wire baskets (they have a overhang on all 4 sides at the top). I installed a strip of wood down each side of the cab opening, front to back, at a level so as to allow the lip of the basket to slide on them. Now when we want anything that is in a basket, just slide it out part-way to access it. This also allows the "bride" the take the baskets into the house to load them before a trip. We then bring them out to the TM and just slide them into place. Works for us!!...... baskets came from "The Container Store" and they are made by ELFA......Jim
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Mccooleys

Trisht,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. If I remember right, our TM is still in storage....we live in Michigan, I installed 3/4 X 3/4 pieces of wood to the back wall of the closet and the wire shelving is attached with a screw through a plastic/nylon fastener that wraps around the wire shelving. The fasteners are sold with the shelving. We really do like the shelving, the clothing rod was useless for us. When we set up for camping we just quickly rearrange the clothing on the shelves. Hope this helps. Bob;-)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
M&M Hokie

I just did a similar wire shelf upgrade to our wardrobe closet. We typically stuffed the thing full of clothes or bedding and shelving makes that so much easier. I did not mount the wire shelves in hanging track though. I just took some 1x2x4 blocks of furniture grade plywood and used a brad nailer and glue to secure them. The wire shelving is basically staying in place via interference fit right now but I might use some form of mechanical fastener if the interference fit is insufficient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 001.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 002.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	4608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 003.JPG
Views:	46