TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Bob Jenkins

Thanks to everyone for the Great Feedback!
You have given me a lot to think about!

Hondo mentioned the lack of privacy for anyone sleeping on the couch. Does the person sleeping in the front bed have any means of privacy? I dont recall seeing any kind of privacy curtain when I was at the dealership.

The one thing I AM sure of is that I definitely need the King-Size bed. I'm 6'7" tall and I refuse to sleep in anything smaller. This limits my choices to the three largest TrailManors.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
Hondo

At the factory tour I believe that I remember a track along the ceiling where you would attach a privacy curtain at the front bed. There wasn't one attached, so I don't know if one comes with the unit, or if you have to buy one. I liked the post about the curtain with the mesh at the top of the curtain that they made to allow the air conditioning to get to the front bed. What a great idea. If the Trailmanor comes with a privacy curtain, does it block the air? Maybe some one else can give an answer.
The couch/bed in the KS at the end is the same couch at the side on the KB and makes into the same bed. They demonstrated how it could be done in a matter of seconds. It would be suitable for children, but I don't think it would be very comfortable for adults for very long.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
jellis

The KB has a privacy curtain, which does block light (good) and AC (not so good). Our nephew slept there and kept one side of the two-side curtain closed, left the other open to get air conditioning, as well as letting the dogs get up there to sleep with him. Worked well for him, at 11 years old. YMMV.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Leon,
Does your TM have a piece of velcro on the bed side of the bath wall, the wardrobe and the rear curtain? If so, you can remove the curtain from the overhead rail and attach it 4 inches down with the velcro for both privacy and ventalation.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
Ted Chance

Default Inquiry to Jon and Rita as to towing with an 03 Tundra

Hi,

This is my first post to the TM Owner's forum but not my first visit. My wife and I are seriously considering a 2006 or 07 3124KS, and I happened to notice a posting by Jon and Rita that you are towing a 3124 KB with an 03 Tundra, precisely the vehicle we plan to use. Ours is AWD with the V6 and a 5000 lb theoretical towing capacity. Considering fudge factors for fluids, combined vehicle weights, passengers, etc. and the actual weight or our truck, I anticipate a comfortable towing capacity of about 4700 lb. Having done the math as to dry weight of the 3124 KS, fluids, hitches, clothes, gear, furnishings, etc., I believe we will remain comfortably within that margin. However, we live on an island in Alaska and our routes out (after a trip on the ferry) involve significant mountain grades, and much or most of our travel will touch the mountainous west. With all these considerations in mind, I ask your impression as to how your 03 Tundra has performed, especially if you have the V6.

My wife and I are flying to the lower 48 this week to look at TMs along with a few other campers of interest though we are not going to buy until we are ready or precisely the right deal lands on our doorstep.

Thanks very much!

Ted Chance
Sitka, Alaska
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ted -

Use the search tool to find posts by RockyMtnRay. He is our towing expert, and also our Tundra expert (you'll find him moderating the Tundra forum), and our towing-at-high-altitude expert. He has a Tundra and a 2720SL, and spends a lot of time in the highest altitudes of the Rockies. He wasn't satisfied with his V-8 Tundra until he put (IIRC) $4800 of power-train upgrades into it, but now he just flies up the high-altitude grades. A truly nice rig.

The mention of $4800 to upgrade a V-8-based Tundra might make you gasp (it does me), so it is worth digging out all of his posts on the topic. You'll be much more knowledgable with that under your belt.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #17
Ted Chance

Default Thanks for the suggestion

Thank you for the suggestion, Bill. As I read through RockyMtnRay's posts, I find that his discussions of variation in engine performance by vehicle, transmission, engine model, altitude, torque, and so on offer pretty clear guidance by way of inference as to what my vehicle will handle--probably not as much as I would hope. Here's what I get so far:
At sea level, my Toyota 4.3L V6 5VZ-FE engine will probably manage just fine with an actual combined vehicle weight of around 9200 lb, which is what I'd estimate I'll end up with a 3124 KS, the actual weight of my vehicle, anticipated passenger weights (more than I would care to admit, sadly), accessories, and all the various other things I anticipate will add to the demand. Climbing at a fairly steep, steady grade out of my sea-level environment to something less than 4000 ft, which is what a trip out of Southeast Alaska entails as a minimum "cost of doing business," probably also will work reasonably well assuming I don't have any wish to fly up the passes, though a transmission cooler probably wouldn't be a bad idea. No problem here. Nobody drives fast anyway. The air itself is all too cool and therefore plenty dense, so I'd not expect much decrement in performance. For many purposes, traveling in the Pacific Northwest, performance will be adequate. Pushing into the Colorado Plateau and other truly high-altitude areas of the west, however, will likely tax the performance and perhaps even safety of the vehicle. The 5VZ-FE engine is I believe used across a number of vehicles contemporaneous to my 03 Tundra, generates about 220 lb/ft of torque @ 3600 RPM, and by all reports performs reliably up to specs given inevitable variation for conditions such as altitude. I inquired of our nearest dealer (95 air miles away, more by ferry), who indicated adding an aftermarket supercharger, which TRD manufactures and markets, would be very unwise. That would seem to address the altitude problem to which RockyMtnRay alludes to some degree; on the other hand, when the dealer tells me he's seen catastrophic engine failures with the supercharger I sit up and take notice. The remainder of the design of the 03 Tundra SR5 w/ 3.4L V6 and 4WD seems adequate to the task, the engine marginal at best. So I will need to think very carefully about whether it makes sense to start looking for a different tow vehicle. Meanwhile, RockyMtnRay, if you happen to read this post, thanks very much for your clear and systematic explanations--they make it easy to extrapolate.

Ted Chance
Old 09-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #18
jellis

Ted,
Our Tundra is equipped with the V8, which is more than adequate for the 3124KB; however, I would be leary of the V6 with this much weight, especially in the mountains. It seems your investigation is driving you in this direction also. As stated, Ray is the towing expert so see what he recommends. Just for comparison, I get about 18 mpg solo, and 15 mpg towing.
Jon and Rita
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
Ted Chance

Thanks, Jon and Rita,

The input you and others have provided is very useful and interesting to me. I appreciate it.

Ted Chance