TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
FujiPedaler

Default Towing a blue tote

The latest Good Sam's sales flyer had a tote for under $200.

Using a tote is really easy, especially compared to doing real and expensive damage to the Trailmanor [by towing it to the dump station while open]. Besides, the owner's manual states unequivocally, do not move the Trailmanor when open.

The tote by Tetford slips over the ball on the hitch and you slowly drive to the dump station at 5 mph.

We dump every 3 to 4 days, I don't know how people get 5 plus days but that doesn't matter. To each his own.

Enjoy your "new" Trailmanor!
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

To be able to tow you need a Thetford "LX" four wheel tote, not a two wheel. Those are available in 18, 27, and 35 gallon capacity. A full grey water tank plus the toilet would be 36 gallons of effluvia. Amazon has them in all three sizes.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a Barker 10-gallon blue tote. I don't use it much, but I can manage it. It has two little wheels - about 5 1/2 inches in diameter - so I can pull it by hand on a level surface. But it is pretty unstable, and tippy when a wheel hits even a small rock or tree root. I can't imagine trying to pull it, or any other two-wheel tote, behind a car. I have a vision of the thing hitting a small rock, turning over, and spilling the contents all over as you drag the gurgling tote down the camp road. It would be quite easy for this to happen, I think. My feeling is, if I can't lift it, I can't control it.

I think Padgett is right about needing a four-wheel tote if you are thinking of pulling it. So much more stable. I've heard of people putting a loop of rope through the handle of a 2-wheel tote so they could tow it. But it scares me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Wingedryder

Smile

The four-wheel Thetfort tote (2 together in middle at the front, & 2 at either side at the rear) pulls just fine when the handle is attached to the TV's hitch ball for short distances (from campsite to dumpsite). I only used for grey water with our previous tent-camper. Personally, for black water dumping, would only transport to CG in the rear bed of a pick-em-up - just my thoughts!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I do not now have, have ever had, and am unlikely to ever have a pick-em-up truck. Alles muss sein towed.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I do not now have, have ever had, and am unlikely to ever have a pick-em-up truck. Alles muss sein towed.
...and that suits us truck owners just fine.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

I also have a "blue tote," of the 11 gallon variety. Like Bill, I rarely use it, because going camping without full hook-ups is well, "primitive."

When we go to state parks that do not offer full hook-ups, we only stay a couple of nights. This is no problem for our black water (Thetford), but we are shower takers and dishwashers, so usually we can go about a day and a half before we need to dump the gray water. The tote takes two trips to the dump station to (nearly) empty the holding tank, but it's as large a tote as the DW and I can lift into the bed of the "pick-em-up" to drive to the dump station. Despite the manufacturers' claims, I would NEVER tow a tote! It's the highlight of the entire campground's morning to watch someone towing a 25 gallon tote slowly through the park...and wondering if he's gonna make it!

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Everybody has their own way of camping. To me camping in most large RV parks with full hook ups and sitting next to huge motor homes and behemoth fivers isn't camping. 50% of the camping we do is boondocking with no campground at all. We pack everything we need for five days or so of primitive camping, but never feel like we're roughing it at all. With generator power and nobody around us to worry about bothering, we can run the AC all night long if needed.

If our "Curve" needs to emptied (and it does if we have our grandsons with us) I just stick it in the back of my truck and find the nearest campground or gas station.

We usually bring in 30 gallons of water, but rarely ever have to empty the grey water tank. We grill most of our meals and only use good quality paper plates and plastic silverware. We set up an exterior hand washing station and DW and I tend to do sponge baths or when necessary we use the outside shower with biodegradable soap.

This type of camping isn't for everybody but we have camped in some amazingly beautiful places and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Everybody has their own way of camping. .... nobody around us to worry about bothering, we can run the AC all night long if needed.

If our "Curve" needs to emptied ......
If we are in a nice secluded area like that, the DW and I may or may not have been known in the past to come up with workarounds from the Scout Manual that eliminate any long trips for waste tank dumping..

After all, we only recently moved from a pop-up with bag potty, to something bigger.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
This type of camping isn't for everybody but we have camped in some amazingly beautiful places and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Tim,

You're right, and more power to you. Me, I'm still searching this forum for a mod on how to install a hot-tub in a TM!

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote