TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Skyjim73

Default New TM at dealer - HOPE to take delivery Tuesday.

So our new 3124KB is at Custom RV in Ontario, CA, but some of the custom work is incomplete and Custom chose to take delivery and complete work at the dealer. Apparently the supply pipeline/work force at the Nebraska plant isn't quite ready to handle some options and modifications.

The DID install my upgraded 4 AWG battery charging cables and fitted a Progressive Dynamics 4655V charger section to the stock converter, which makes me really happy. The Dometic compressor fridge is installed but Custom is awaiting shipment of a modified countertop for the sink/fridge area. We have to hit the road by Wednesday AM to cover about 700 miles up to the NorCal redwood coast to attend our daughter's college graduation, so it is possible we'll leave Custom Tuesday afternoon with a temporary countertop/sink lashup to get us through this trip.

The cassette toilet is also being shipped directly to Custom but they expect it in time. Crossing fingers! There are sundry cabinet trim bits and some interior fabric stuff still being shipped/installed but Matt and Scott believe all will be in hand for our Tuesday delivery.

Custom really didn't want to tell me too much about what was going on, and I can sort of see their point of view - I guess most people would be a bit freaked seeing their brand-new baby in pieces in the back of the dealership. For me, it was more stressful being frustrated by a lack of specific information about the reasons for the delays in delivery, so their approach was not ideal for my personal temperament. I'm an extremely hands-on type and I am much happier now KNOWING what is going on and I have no trouble seeing past the chaos of a project in-work to visualize the final product. Multiple panels removed or not installed and a big hole where the toilet belongs really did not faze me a bit - not having information was making me hard to get along with, though!

One way or another, we intend to roll out of Custom on Tuesday afternoon or evening even if it means bringing the rig back after the trip to finish things up. I guess if there is a lesson it would be 1.) to expect the unexpected if you order a modified rig, and 2.) if you possibly can, get to know your dealer well enough during the ordering process to allow them to trust that you understand that custom work carries the possibility of delays and miscommunications, and you can be rational about such hiccups!

Please wish us luck as we come to the end of what has been a very lengthy purchasing process!

Jim
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I wish you luck and hope your trip & the graduation goes smoothly!